it is an r32 but its a 4 motion shell stealthy as ;)

How does that work? I've never seen an R32 engine with a black inlet manifold before.

inlet manis been painted :)

the previous owner swapped everything apart from the brakes and clocks including gearbox wishbones suspension and engine etc

is the running gear etc all the same for the 4mo and the R32????

what is the difference??? I think I may have just been inspired.........

apaarantly the gearing is slightly diffrent on a 4mo and an r32 r32 is supposed to be a touch shorter but i couldnt tell the diffrence.

suspension setup is very diffrent the r32 has diffrent shocks whsibones and even steering rack (the rack is faster ie less turns to lock) the wishbones are the same as a tt and its a DEFFINATE improvement on a 4mo the kwv3s and nuespeed arbs that are on it now are a diffrent universe its ridiculous how fast the thing goes round corners.

rear brakes are the same afaik 256 mm vented front brakes are 312 mm for 4 mo (mines got them and theyr poo) and 334 mm on the mk4 r32 i beleive the mk5 has 345 mm front disks if you want any info get over to e38 and contact a guy called phatty he built the car and knows his stuff :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been researching what to do to get my currently standard VR6 to improve the handling without too much loss of comfort. I'm not too constrained on the pennies, but I'm taking my time and getting as much advice, opinion and input as I can. And it is hugely varied and conflicting! (What I have deduced is that I don't want or need b*****y coilies....well not for exclusively road use which is what I'm doing. All sources I've come across suggest that the Mk4 is something of a dog and nothing like as easy to sort out as a 2 or a 3. Lots of moaning on the Mk4 Forum especially when they slam them.

http://uk-mkivs.net/

If you lower the Mk4 more than about 15mm the lower front wishbones go 'positive' and the suspension geometry is compromised, so might look good but will not handle very well. Apparently Mk5s are much better as standard and easier to sort further.....so probably better to stretch to a 5 or stick with a 3. All Golfs it would seem are not created equal and it seems a lot of peeps think they lost it completely with the 4. Good luck! Report back eagerly awaited.

I've been researching what to do to get my currently standard VR6 to improve the handling without too much loss of comfort. I'm not too constrained on the pennies' date=' but I'm taking my time and getting as much advice, opinion and input as I can. And it is hugely varied and conflicting! (What I have deduced is that I don't want or need b*****y coilies....well not for exclusively road use which is what I'm doing. All sources I've come across suggest that the Mk4 is something of a dog and nothing like as easy to sort out as a 2 or a 3. Lots of moaning on the Mk4 Forum especially when they slam them.

http://uk-mkivs.net/

If you lower the Mk4 more than about 15mm the lower front wishbones go 'positive' and the suspension geometry is compromised, so might look good but will not handle very well. Apparently Mk5s are much better as standard and easier to sort further.....so probably better to stretch to a 5 or stick with a 3. All Golfs it would seem are not created equal and it seems a lot of peeps think they lost it completely with the 4. Good luck! Report back eagerly awaited.

[/quote']

its late and im knackered i dont quite understasnd the question mate?

coilovers are probably the best type of suspension you can get its what you do with them that determines how good/bad the car handles

dropping a car on its arse looks great but ruins handling the 2 main reasons are

1 you end up hitting things like the sump which isnt fun ( on the 12v vr6 the sump plug sits proud of the sump at the back so it tends to be the 1st thing to get hit)

2 you reduce the suspension travel ie your that much closer to the bump stops that its easy to bottom the suspension out which instantly removes any control given by the suspension.

arbs are a good but often overlooked mod for pretty much any car they reduce the amount of body roll under lateral g force ie cornering. this means that the outside wheels have less load on them during the corner this means you can corner faster. it also means to a point you can soften the shocks a little to improve the road holding because softer shocks allow the springs to react quicker to bumps etc.

arbs can also adjust the chassis balance ie under or oversteer. if you use a softer front rolll bar and a harder rear roll bar then you make the car more oversteery

when a car feels crashy its generally because its either too low and your hitting the bump stops or the shocks are too hard for the springs and the suspension just doesnt react fast enough so instead of the suspension absorbing the bump it basically hits it so the entire car goes up and down

iv not driven a 2wd mk4 but iv owned a 2.8 4 motion and an r32.

the 2.8 has pretty soft soggy suspension its a wafter not a racer it doesnt handle badly it just understaers a fair bit and doesnt react very quickly

the r32 is alot better it absorbs bumps nearly as well but its alot sharper than the 2.8 the steering rack is quicker meaning you move the wheel less to turn the same amount (steering does feel dead though not a huge amount of feedback) body roll is far less noticeable due to it having arbs as standard.

my r32 has kw v3 coilovers neuspeed arbs all polybushed chassis and 1 deg of negative camber on the front wheels (to help initial turn in) and the thing is nothing short of silly round corners iv got the front set softer than the rear and its a bit lower at the front than the rear (front is about 20mm lower than stock rear is about stock ride height) it rides smoother than stock suspension yet its an absolute animal in the corners its incredibly composed very resistent to understeer it lift off oversteers really well its alot sharper than stock and a has a huge amount more grip too

the general point being you get what you pay for cheap coilovers are nowhere near as good as a paorper expensive set. you also need to set them up properly if you have it too hard or too low it just wont work