a bad day, a very very bad day!!!!

hi all,well im on way home today on motorway,and for some reason my auto gearboxc seemed to start slipping followed by a kind of whine on acceloration,so went into the creep lane

took my turn off m25 came to roundabout and stoped to give way and after it wouldnt get into gear,

pushed it to the side poped the bonnet and see the water steaming,left it to cool down undone water bottle aND got mayonaise come out!!!!!!!oh no sounds like head gasket.luckily enough an rac van pulled over to help and he checked the water bottle and said i didnt need any water as it was still full and surgested i leave it cool down more and try and get back home not even half a mile away,so started up sounds fine but really have to ref the crap out of it to get anywhere,the rac guy said he wasnt sure if was head as no water lost and he said it was like somone has put oil in the water bottle,but i assured him it wasnt the case

any ideas ?????

i miss her already

thanks gav,im heartbroken m8,im gonna get it looked at on sunday by me pal, could you give me more info about the head gasket test and oil cooler location or just search it up,

cheers

forgot to add when i was driving and it started whineing the temp was 104 and when the car finally gave up and overheated i checked temp and it was the same 104, dont know if this helps with the diagnosis,

any ideas what this would cost to sort out am i gonna cry ,

so sad

first place id check is the heat exchanger' date=' they are crap!

[/quote']

Well there is a pretty good answer that's been given to you!!

The reason why you would only have oil in the water with this fault is because more oil pressure is created than water pressure.

If memory serves the heat exchanger is directly under the oil filter with the coolant pipes coming off of it.

hi all will def check heat exchanger ,so what you reckon about me auto gear box then as i really have to hammer the revs up to get moving at all,roll on tomorrow as my pals coming armed with a tool box !!!

cheers all and fingers crossed for tomorrow

First crack would be simply to check the oil level. Pretty sure the check would be much the same as most other autos, which is with the front wheels chocked and handbrake on, run up the engine, select D and check oil level. Failing that it will have to come apart, and I should think the torque convertor will require a bit of tlc.

you have got a fecked autobox is what - there is a water to oil cooler on the top of the autobox and they are prone to failing unfortunately - they split and water gets in, wrecking the box. Its a £1000 rebuild cost, or find a secondhand one to put in

hi all,well not good news ,it seems that my auto gear box has gone along with my heat exchanger,so im probly gonna be getting rid of my car as its gonna cost as much as the cars worth unless anyone in the know to help

,so upset,

anyone need any bits let me know,mint recaros,quad hella lights original,17inch rs4 alloys and tyres 2 months old,kn panel 6 weeks old,boot liner cd changer whole car is perfect ,engine etc,

this really is a great example sunroof climate full clifford closure all extras,

thanks

07852 79 80 90 jay

thanks joju,will give them a bell this week as ive tryed to just put the golf to the back of my mind for a week or so now,but now ive got the funds together im ready to get prices,

ive hAD 1 quote of £1700 with a 12 month or 30.000 mile warrenty,

it is a difficult decision weather to spend that sort of money for a car worth 2k,or with the money for the new box shall i get another vr6 or will that break etc ,difficult decision

cheers

Id stick a 2nd hand box in if i could find one in a scrap yard or ebay... Hopfully that would sort if for £200 plus fitting

Wouldn't dream of spending £1700 on a box. If you don't want to put a 2nd hand box in it then defo strip and break the car and buy another VR with your £1700.. should buy your self a real nice one and probaly see around £700-800 from scraping the auto

One more option and the one id probaly take is to put a manual box in there 2nd hand obvs.. Wont be a strate swap tho. flywheel, clutch cable, gearlinkage would need to be changed aswell.

Is there any reason you own a auto? There always alot more pricey to repair

cheers phat, top man ,i have emailed the seller to see if fits in my car,i do like an auto,probly lazyness as around town it constant gear changes .i must say my vr6 is so clean and tidy and engine sounds so sweet,i will be gutted to see it go,

does anyone know if the v6 4motion came in auto,]

as might get abit of finance ontop of my repair money and try get one of them,

fingers crossed