My strip,paint and rebuild of the V6 2MOTION 56K not a chance SORRY

If the lord of darkness wanted a lift, it WOULD be in this [:D]

Well as very few will know i have bitten the bullet and decided to take the car to the next level.

The following pics will show the lengths i am going to get this car perfect in just about EVERY way i can in terms of looks and where i want it to be.

I have taken my time to make the preparation as perfect as i can and the end result should be heart stopping to say the least, with some other goodies along the way such as TT bottom arms, NEW engine plastics and also new wheel arch plastics and complete dyno matt to reduce some of the road noise even more.

This will be a complete start to finish process with PLENTY of pics to show what has been done by MYSELF all barre the painting.

First we have the car as it was before i started to strip her out and looking rather dirty LOL

Golf-paint3.jpg

Golf-paint2.jpg

Golf-paint1.jpg

Golf-paint4.jpg

Golf-paint5.jpg

I left most of the car assembled to avoid as much dust getting onto the interior as i can.

First up was the bonnet as it had a few stone chips that needed attention and sorting before i could even think of painting the car.

I have used zinc primer to add some protection back to the factory body but would later find this rather disgusting to say the least!!!!!!

Golf-paint8.jpg

Golf-paint6.jpg

Golf-paint13.jpg

Golf-paint15.jpg

After this i stripped both bumpers off and gave them the once over with 800 grit paper and water to try and eliminate as much waveyness in the finish as i can and the rest of the car is done n the same way.

Golf-paint17.jpg

Golf-paint18.jpg

Golf-paint14.jpg

Golf-paint10.jpg

Golf-paint11.jpg

Next on death row are the N/S/F doors and to my dismay the front near side door was on it best way to rotting out [:@], so much for GERMAN build quality ehhh

This pic is just after getting the front doors back after having the top half of the door frames dipped then coated with zinc to hold back problem of rusting and coated with a polyurethane sealant then a good lashing of high build primer[H]

Golf-paint19.jpg

This is the suspect place to look for as VW did not paint it but low and behold they saw fit to put some sort of black tape direct onto the metal THEN paint it and then fit the rubber seal to stop water from the windscreen getting into the car[8-)] HOW DUMB!!!!

and this is my revised version with help from a classic car restorer here in France[:o]

Golf-paint26.jpg

WELL back to the bumpers..................

This is an anni plastic front spoiler that i had to mod to fit a US front bumper,

using plastic coated metal that i had it was cut and made longer on both sides by about 1.2 inches to fit the US bumper then filled with a piece of the OEM valance then polyurethane filled to allow it to flex [:D]

Golf-paint28.jpg

Before a good coat of liquid BLACK filler primer

Golf-paint25.jpg

AND after the primer was baked for 45 min at gas mark 5 [:D]

Golf-paint21.jpg

Golf-paint22.jpg

And after an 800 wet and dry flat down

Golf-paint16.jpg

Golf-paint17.jpg

Golf-paint18.jpg

NOW both front bumpers are ready for paint so can be put in the store until the main chassis is ready for the cabin

Golf-paint24.jpg

Golf-paint31.jpg

This is my "makeshift" store for all the windows and bits i haver stripped out but i will have to up load the rest so you can now see that it is full of GOLFY [:DD]

Golf-paint29.jpg

I have today done the boot and rear floor pan out with sound deadening matting to help reduce some of the noise from the exhaust and the TOYO R888´s that are fitted so pics of that will follow as well

More will follow HOT off the press as soon as i have it done [H]

This all started MONDAY [C]

These are the new TT bottom arms and ball joints all shiny and new waiting ti be fitted [au]

Golf-wishbonesTT1.jpg

Along with some new lower plastic guards for the lower half of the engine

Golf-plastic-protectors.jpg

Golf-wishbonesTT.jpg

And my box of bits that is now full of the contents of the 4 doors

Golf-paint43.jpg

Also ready and waiting is my new windscreen

Golf-windscreen.jpg

And also my rear strut brace painted in the color that was left over from our Audi

Golf-rear-strut-brace-1.jpg

Along with this i decided as the rear end was almost stripped out i had another look at the position of the brace and made some changes to the design and how it fits but that will come later[:#]

Here are a few more that i have found and thinking about painting the rear crash bar the same color as the car even though you will never see it LOL

just a bit more detail to complete the finish and it will stop the rust on the dam thing [:@]

Golf-paint49.jpg

Also while i was at it i managed to sand down the tailpipe with 2000 wet and dry then buff it back to a nice shine again using the polishing machine

Golf-paint50.jpg

Golf-paint51.jpg

Golf-paint52.jpg

You can see in these pics what a dirt trap the rubbers at the bottom of the door really are so they will be getting a good coat of body wax after painting

Golf-paint53.jpg

Golf-paint54.jpg

And here is my rear strut brace installed again in a even better place [H]

rear-strut-bar-2.jpg

rear-strut-brace4.jpg

you can see here how the seats will still fold into place as they should and also it is possible to remove in about 15-20 min if needs be[au]

rear-strut-brace5.jpg

Mondy came with a bang and a foot in the ass so it can get some color put back on

Well here is todays progress and even though it does not look like much those bloody sills took some getting perfect [:S]

i have coated them with some anti rust protection where it was showing bare metal.

I tried to fit my TT wish bones today but due to the fact it is on stands at the back (as i don't have any bloody wheels STILL!!) i was unable to lift the front without making it safe to work on [:@]

Also the windscreen came out today so i could finish up the roof edges and get he semi masked up and ready to rock [<:o)]

Golf-paint62.jpg

These are my super smooth sills but as i have said the rear arched i left the seem there as NOT to make it look too out of place and non factory

The only reason i smoothed the sills along the door shuts was because these came from a ZAFIRA GSI and when the doors were closed you could see the seems and they looked naff

Golf-paint59.jpg

Golf-paint60.jpg

Golf-paint61.jpg

Hope to get my wheels back tomorrow and get them prepped and the tires taken off so they too can get some love [H] and FINALLY do the TT gear

This is my box of all the door bits that is now quite full [:o]

Just hope i can put it all back in and have nothing left [:S]

Golf-paint56.jpg

And also the sound proofing to try and help with some of the road noise

Golf-paint58.jpg

OK granted it is not dyno matt but at 30€ for 8 sheets it will do the job

Golf-paint57.jpg

i have only done as far as the underside of the rear seat so will see what it does apart from weight about 6-8KG

This one is after i had to lose 2 wheels to an Audi TT that was stolen recovered but sadly with no wheels [:'(]

Golf-paint55.jpg

and to be honest they look quite nice on a black TT if i do say so myself

Audi-TT1.jpg

while i was out there a truch turned up with what i can only say is, IT COULD DO WITH A LICK OF PAINT [:D]

But hey it is only a Peugeot 607 V6 and the only waste was the BREMBO 4 pots on the front

Peugeot-607-V6.jpg

I have done some pictures of the semi smoothed in sills but i think i was pißßed when i did them as they are all fuzzy so i will do some more tomorrow

i have coated them with some anti rust protection where it was showing bare metal.

I tried to fit my TT wish bones today but due to the fact it is on stands at the back (as i don't have any bloody wheels STILL!!) i was unable to lift the front without making it safe to work on [:@]

Also the windscreen came out today so i could finish up the roof edges and get he semi masked up and ready to rock [<:o)]

Golf-paint62.jpg

These are my super smooth sills but as i have said the rear arched i left the seem there as NOT to make it look too out of place and non factory

The only reason i smoothed the sills along the door shuts was because these came from a ZAFIRA GSI and when the doors were closed you could see the seems and they looked naff

Golf-paint59.jpg

Golf-paint60.jpg

Golf-paint61.jpg

Hope to get my wheels back tomorrow and get them prepped and the tires taken off so they too can get some love [H] and FINALLY do the TT gear

ANOTHER manic day [:S]

I managed to get my TT wish bones fitted although i am still missing the rear wheels [:@]

Quite an easy job apart from the off side due to the fact that on the V6 the sump is in the way to be able to remove one of the bolts so as always i managed to hatch a plan to solve this without doing stupid tasks [<:o)]

Pictures of this will be in the HOW TOO section at a later date [8-|]

I have also come up with something that could either turn out quite nice or look a pile of poop so here goes

Seat leon cupra R wheels were looking a little tired so they too were not getting left by the way side, first off was to break the beads enough to be able to get some space to mask off when needed and then a plan started to take place

PIN STRIPING was something i liked but had never done before so i am still not sure how it will look once finished [8-)]

First of all i chose the same guards red that the brakes are painted and gave the center of the wheel a coating, enough to be able to flat it down again after with 3000 wet and dry carbon stones

Golf-paint67.jpg

The result was this

Golf-paint69.jpg

Golf-paint68.jpg

Then after the finish was nice and smooth i applied a special 3M stripe that can be attached to ANY shape or form you want (the kind the pros use for making flames)

after about 400 miles of wasted tape i think i managed to get a perfect circle, what do you think?

Golf-paint70.jpg

Tomorrow i will get the top coat pf dark gray put on and then remove the tape ready for the clear coat to go o, this SHOULD and i say this with some hope turn out quite nice and subtle [O]

ONLY another 3 to go[:S]

Here are some more pictures of my sills and also of the door handles and badges ready for color coding

Golf-paint63.jpg

Golf-paint65.jpg

Golf-paint66.jpg

What do you think?

Another day at the office [:D]

I decide to fit the PDC system in the end and i think once it is all painted it will look quite tidy

I have used a system that has an automatic FRONT pdc setup along with a rear setup operated off the reversing light

Here we go

Front Bumper

Parking-sensor4.jpg

A nice close up so you can see how flush the sensors fit

Parking-sensor-1.jpg

And the Rear bumper

parking-sensor2.jpg

with a bundle of cables that might look a little daunting to fit but you cant go wrong due to the pact it is ALL plug and play [H]

parking-sensor3.jpg

These are the rather shot bushes that had covered 125K miles so have not done so bad really considering the hammering they have had

bushes1.jpg

and just to show HOW BAD!!!! [:o]

bushes2.jpg

The main chassis and rear doors are getting color tomorrow so i can get her back together in time for the AWESOME RR day

Really sorry for the long post but i thought you guys might appreciate the pictures

and as soon as i can get to my camera on Monday i will post up some more of the finished chassis and doors

ENJOY

Andy

Thanks lads

It has taken some bloody work so far and cant wait to get it back on the road

i am in France working at the moment so the bodyshop where i am working is doing the actual painting LOL

all the strip and refit is down to me :S

Cracking painter and would recommend him any day even if he is in France but the price reflects in my opinion

and not that expensive at about 2500€ for a normal spray job that is not the kind of strip down i have done

The rest of the parts get painted Tuesday so i can get her back together ready for the RR day in Manchester on Saturday :o

More pics will follow as soon as i have them and i for one hope the wheels work with the "BLACK" theme and dont look too chavy lol

Andy

If you had noticed it is NOT a 4MOTION ;)

it started life as a standard 1.6 16V back in 2001 when we bought it lol

the exhaust is a 2.5" custom made stainless cat back system to be able to cope with what the 6 puts out it had to be quite big as i dont have the space for the massive box that the 4MOTION had as standard.

the rear is also an anniversary valance and the tip fits perfect in that but does look a little odd with no bumper 8-|

Andy

Looks good. You've put some hours in there with the 800 grit lol.. Paint work looked good before you started id have just polished it lol.. Going to 100% be mint when you finish. Think the wheels will look good

Whats the reason behind the TT wishbones?

Oh here goes lol

The TT wishbones are CAST alu where as the old ones are just pressed steal with crap bushes.

It also allows you some camber adjustment as the bottom ball joint holes are slotted.

As for it being mint hummmmm bot sure on that one lol

It had loads of small scratches and fine light scratches that would never seem to polish out so i thought bugger it we will paint them out.

Andy

Well here is an update as to how the car looks now after a few more days grafting

So here we go

this is how she looks atthe moment but now minus the wheels so they too can get finished lol

There is NOTHING like the smell of fresh paint [H]

Golf-paint71.jpg

Golf-paint72.jpg

Golf-paint73.jpg

that last pic of the wheels until tomorrow night I HOPE [:@]

Golf-paint74.jpg

Also fitted my NEW windscreen and OEM parts at that [;)]

Golf-paint75.jpg

Golf-paint77.jpg

Golf-paint78.jpg

The doors rear doors are also now hung and the front doors, front and rear rear bumper and bonnet went into the booth tonight and got some color

Left now is the boot and door handles and also some other bits and pieces.

The boot insides is now finished with some extra sound proofing on top of the tar matting to soften the boot install and lift it up a little [H]

Bloody knacked and not stopped ALL day [:o] but who cares it looks the dogs danglers and i cant stop smiling lol

WHAT A DISASTER!!!!!!!

This morning as i was stood there contemplating where the hell to start there was a MASSIVE crash sound from the back FIRST THOUGHT

(insert insult here) MY DOORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUP a stack of old tires had fallen over and managed to totally flip a door over onto the floor on its face [8o|][:@] and also smack another [:'(]

The damage is not too bad to the one that got flipped but will have to be done AGAIN!!!! when i come back

ANYONE thinking of dismantling the rear door glass and the rubbers THINK AGAIN!!! it is an absolute (insert comment here) to rebuild

Has taken me 3 hours just for the rear left door so progress has been slow today

Front bumper fitted and PDC system connecte

Golf-paint79.jpg

Rear bumper fitted and PDC system connected

Golf-paint80.jpg

and all the doors are now hung[:D]

Golf-paint81.jpg

The doors took some time due to the fact there are about 10 points of adjustment on each door so you need to take your time to get the doors fitting right without damaging the paint.

I think VW need shafting for the rear doors though [:DD]

THe wheels are now done

Golf-paint82.jpg

Golf-paint83.jpg

Golf-paint84.jpg

Golf-paint85.jpg

What do you think???????

I have a few bits left to do before i can get her back to the UK tomorrow like

. Fit the bonnet

. Fit the boot

. Fit the door handles

. Fit the R32 mirror caps

. Fit the front grill

. Fit some small interior trims

I am hoping to have her done for about late afternoon and give her a good going over with some wax and then make the 560 mile trip to Manchester for the RR day at Awesome GTI

Later folks

Andy

yeaaaaa the bonnet is not finished yet and was a lat minuet thing lol

I intend to put the same size red stripe down the divide of the black and gray then clear coat the complete bonnet so i can polish it lol

Also today i have fitted a new interior black carpet and new air bag ECU so no more lights

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Turbo project will be under full stem in the next 2 months or so, i am just looking for a runabout so i can take her off the road.

The plan of 350-400 BHP is now out the window and the new target will be 500 ish with full engine rebuild and low comp pstons, GT35 or bigger turbo and custom FMIC along with LSD and some gear work from HGP.

Stay tuned

Andy

my good, amazing work mate. looking at the pics the paint is immaculate and knowing how hard black is to get right the finish looks outstanding. Also in my opinion (for what its worth) the 2 tone satin/gloss bonnet is genius.

great car!