Most economic revs 1-4?

I am now 10 days in to owning my VR6 and I am now becoming obsessed with fuel economy.

I took this into account when buying the car, and am enjoying caning the octane whenever the oppurtunity arises :) . I only have a 10 minute drive to work at an avg of 40mph so I don't really get the chance to on a day to day basis, as th oil temperature never gets high enough.

However on longer drives I (sadly) start staring at the fuel economy and trying to get the highest figure I can. The temptation is to put the car in the highest gear possible and drive like a mini-cab driver with the revs are below 2.5K. However I seem to better economy between 2.5-3.5K and the car is much more fun to drive.

Does this sound right?

I have read a link relating to ideal motorway speeds, but what is the ideal rev range for gears 1-4?

To be fair why buy a 2.8 and worry about the fuel it uses when the cost of fuel in the UK is the 6th highest per gallon in europe at the moment?

Driving a VR6 for 10mins will surely coke the thing up over time as it'll never warm up, surely your not going to enjoy the car driving it around at 2,000 rpm in 5th worrying about how much driving it is going to cost you.

I'm lucky if I get 20 to the gallon on the way to work, however mpg wasn't at the top of the spec sheet when I walked into VW!!

I gauge mine by if its noisey and I can hear the charger start to whine, Its gonna get thirsty, then I smile and plant my foot and listen to it scream hahaha

I thought Id fill it up tonight from right down in the red, I bottled it and stopped at £50 worth or optimax and when I drove off it still hadnt filled it!!

But then I had fresh fuel to play with on the way home! Im still grinning now!

Well if the AA are to be believed.....

the aim is to hit the desired speed as quickly as possible and then put in the highest gear possible. If acceleation is needed then the correct gear to get you there is best! They also mention that feathering the throttle to allow a gradule roll on or off of speed is the best!

So Flat out to xmph then sit behind a lorry as they never slow unless absolutely required........

Otherwise I got better on a run after I put the charger etc on. Just goes down faster when on the loud pedal LOL :D

LPG??????

walk/ride one day a week???

me and the wife where looking before we got the vr for something cheap to run i.e deisel. but after we had a spin in my brothers mk2 vr we got ours 2 days later! at the time it cost £46 to fill up and we do that every 5 days......and you know what........i dont care!

Majority of the time I dont even get over 200 miles to a tank in mine! I sit in traffic for 15 mins to and from work though so it doesnt get a good run really. I make sure I take it out for a blast every couple of nights just to clear it out :)

i tryed to drive it steady to see wat i could get out of a full tank,

you no wat it lasted 2 days then i got fed up of been over taken all the time so i cane it as i all ways do lol

i see average 22.5mpg and im happy with that , i also run it on shell vmax and see 240-250 to a tank

I've just tried my VR6 with Sainsburys 97 RON fuel and am now getting 25mpg rather than 22mpg, and much smoother too. I think this actually works out cheaper in the long run, as I am paying 3p / litre more, but getting better performance.

I use Sainsburys as much as possible as mine seems soo much more responsive compared to all other fuel. I don't look at mpg, convinced meself that the sensor must be reading wromg ;-)

I tried shell optimax some time ago and wasn't impressed. Is VMAX a new fuel ?

I just cant conserve fuel' date=' theres alot of chaved civics and saxos round my way and they always try it on at the slightest chance

They aint getting away with that!!!! hahaha

[/quote']

lol... thats what i like to hear.. abit of saxo slaying

I just cant conserve fuel' date=' theres alot of chaved civics and saxos round my way and they always try it on at the slightest chance

They aint getting away with that!!!! hahaha

[/quote']

lol... thats what i like to hear.. abit of saxo slaying

Even the odd mk3 gti, theres a kiddy round my way with a 8v who has somthing against me and my vr

Allways trys it on and has even tryed to nick bits off it last week when it was parked outside a garage waiting to having the chains done but the owner seen him and chased him off........fuqking tryhard

mine seems to run crap on anything but v-power now, its what the shell fuel is called now, im getting upto about 2 tanks a week , i never felt it so much before, but now its getting pathetic.

but fundamentally we are all driving big 2.8's for the power no?

well a mk4 pd t.d.i 150 with a chip will have a standard vr playing catch up all the way to about 120, and maybe im just getting a bit old, but in and around london you never get upto those sort of speeds anyhow.

meanwhile the guy in the tdi's laughing at you coz he's still doing about 45 mpg, and im looking for the nearest bloody shell!!!!

most ive ever had is 37.5 on the way bk fro no rice, on wednesday.and i think it was about 12mpg on the way down! lol, apparantly somthing to do with my right foot perminatly welded to the floor :)

thing is is i never brought the equasion off fuel econimie into it when lloking for a vr, if you botherd about it, dnt get a vr,

fist two weeks off having it tho was great, did about 6-7 tanks, lol

it hit me hard to start off with but now i just love the car so much i dnt care!

I BLAME THAT BLOODY SOUND! , :o

you kno, that VR-TECH One, lol

if it wasent for that sound we would be doing much more mpg, lol

• 3 weeks later...

My VR6 reads 24 mpg average and 29 mpg on a longer run, I recon it's ace. My last cars in recent years have been a 24 valve 3 litre shogun, evo 6, scoobys etc and they all did well under 20 mpg, so that makes my VR6 look good.

I get about 26, but thats alot of long runs with a bit of town driving. Have to admit theres some runs when i try to get as big a numbeer as possible on the MFA. I recon i could average about 30 if i drove like a granny all the time, but temptation always gets the better of me and i have to bury the loud pedal pulling away from junctions, or when im stuck behind some slow c*nt and have to overtake

Quite happy with 26mpg, better than my old 320i. Am considering an old mk3 tdi tho for the daily commute, but id miss having a powerfull car!