handling problem since fitting 17"s?is it duff tyres

proper weird problem at the moment . heres a pic of my golf when i bought it . it had 205/50/15's on it

[img:width=600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/woodz77/DSC00230-1.jpg[/img:width=600]

2 weeks ago i bought a set of wheels off ebay and put them on . the tyres are 205/40/17 . car now looks like this and i love it

[img:width=600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/woodz77/DSC00210-2.jpg[/img:width=600]

now the car steering is lighter . went to the local tyre place and he said thats normal on a lot of cars ??

the car now slides in corners as if your going to fast into the corner and even though your turning the wheel it still goes straight and then turns if you know what i mean ? its like when its wet and you go round a roundabout and if you give it well a car will pull out further even when steering in course the weight of the car is pushing it out and the tyres aint gripping enough till you let the power off ?? if you know what i mean . its a strange one to discribe . it aint that bad in the dry but still handles like its on thin 14 inchs steels ?? im trying as best as i can to decribe what it does ???

it drove fine when i had the standards on it now its poo. i was thinking of selling it anyway when i got new wheels for it cos another car has come up ive wanted for a while but i want to sort this out first really .

the tracking is fine . the lower arms are fine . the steering rack is perfect . so now im thinking is it the tyres ??

3 tyres are cheap make and one is a Avon .

now the avon is a square edge tyre if you know what i mean . the wall is straight to the edge and and the other 3 are round edge , the dip in from the wall to the tread ?

now my question is has anyone else had this problem

are the tyres reall that shite that they would cause this sliding ?? ive always had cheap tyres but never had this problem

some on said get the camber checked but the local place says if it does a 4 wheel alignment and does the camber that it will only be able to put it to the factory settings . and cos the car has bigger wheels and lowering springs it would be wrong anyway ?

ive been told to lower it more and it will help ??

im going outside in a min and will take a pic of the tyre make and shapes .

what do you lot think ??

Crap tyres I would say... but less deflection of the tyre wall due to then being thinner would make the car handle slightly differently.

I'm not having a go, but why do people put budget tyres on their cars? I've seen people who've bought cars ONLY for their supposed "safety" with 4 different tyres on each wheel, all by some stupid sounding eastern asian make. What's the point in that? Probably the same people who buy new cars rather than 6 month old ones...

Sorry, rant over!

Crap tyres. I rotated mine around. I had Falkens on the front and cheapos on the rear. Because i wanted to get rid of the cheapos i put them on the front. I reckon another month and they'll be fooked. The handling is terrible with them on the front compared to the Falkens. Im scared to go around corners any faster than 10mph! :P

I totally agree - the VR needs good make tyres all around - it can have 7-10mm of tread but if they r micky mouse tyres then they wont be able to cope with the weight and set up.

But other things for you to look at are:

Tyre preasure - make sure they are correct all around.

Other thing is Camber - you car looks lower and on 15's the camber setup might be correct but on 17's the cam angles might be altered.

This is the biggest problem with lowering cars - people forget to get the alinement setup aswel.

the dip in from the wall to the tread ?

As said above check your tyre presures, Sound like there under infalated to me. It will handle better on 15-16 but if you got some wide 17s and got it as low as it was on the 15s if not lower then it shouldn't be much worse.

But it also sounds like the cheep tyres.

but who can i get to change the camber ?? the local tyre place that does 4 wheel alignment etc said they can only set the camber up to the factory settings ??

does anyone know the settings for a vr with 17's and lowered 40 mm ??

Sorry fegot to say. There chatting aload of bull because its alot of messing around for the money they get.... I have to twist there arm at my place to get them to do it

Dont matter what size your wheels are camber is camber, Just get it set to the factory settings, its know different how low it is ect. They wont be able to do the backs tho. Only way to do the backs is by chamber plates put behind the sub axal but its not leigal

but who can i get to change the camber ?? the local tyre place that does 4 wheel alignment etc said they can only set the camber up to the factory settings ??

does anyone know the settings for a vr with 17's and lowered 40 mm ??

Sorry fegot to say. There chatting aload of bull because its alot of messing around for the money they get.... I have to twist there arm at my place to get them to do it

Dont matter what size your wheels are camber is camber' date=' Just get it set to the factory settings, its know different how low it is ect. They wont be able to do the backs tho. Only way to do the backs is by chamber plates put behind the sub axal but its not leigal

[/quote']

chers mate . thats worth knowing definitly . going to buy a new lowering kit i think and 2 front tyres and go from there .