Sorry not vag related,but Evos

Right what are peoples views on them?

I have just got my vr on the road and do enjoy it very much but i feel i want something abit more fun, quicker, and more comfot. I would only be looking at spending between 10k-15k so no it wouldnt be brand new. I had fort about putting turbo on golf, but i then just feel there would be to much power going thu the front wheels,therefor handling wouldnt be great. I am really undersided what to get or do?

please help lol!!

there is no dening that you will have a lot of fun in an evo . but second hand ... i wouldent want to risk well thrashed jap-cr@p .

if i was in your shoes id stick turbo on the vr , im loving the way it looks btw!! i think spot a cage??,

a turbo vr with good handling is entierly possible , just dont push tooo much power and get a good diff and suspension setup....

away you go and you wont have to leave the almighty vr sound ;):)

Cheers and yes it got full roll cage welded in. I no that there good chance it will have been trashed but thats what it built for. I dont no if i would sell my vr as i dont think i would really get that much for it as not many people will pay good money for half the car.

have you considerd a skyline? rather than an evo . they sound better , go better and put up with the abuse better! and theres the experience , if you havent driven one at least make the effort to have a go/test . with simple mods filter zorst map/chip you've got one helluva buzz with pure 1st gear G's lol :D :D

buy what ever car you like as long as you keep the vr ;):):P

hmm yea its your choice, but there not very realible, and iv heard stories of blown engines rebuilds in not very old examples... and my mate only got 150miles to a tank in his... and servicing is costly and every few thousand miles.

about 12 grand gets you a R32 golf now...not in the same league i know, but stick a supercharger on one and you got a serous car, or even a 4mo at 7 grand and a supercharger is nearly as good...300bhp 4wd...

2 of my mates have evo's

one blew the engine up circa 3k for a new one although that was because he was being a tit.

they are as relaible if not more reliable than my vr6 and use as much fuel as one although bits are very expensive. my mate was 500 quid for new disks and pads alone and insurance aint cheap

I've only just started looking into it, so i will look at the skyline to, but do prefer the evo. Have been looking at the 6 and 7. A friend off mine had an evo a few years ago and i was very impressed with it and the handling was out of this world. I no that it isnt going to be a cheap car to have but it will be a car that will spend more time in garage then on the road, i would only do about 4-5k miles a year, which would still be one service a year and i been told to look near £500-£1000 for the service. I have put a post in the whats it worth section as would like to no how much my golf is worth, as that will decided on wether i keep it or not.

my sugestion is buy a 4 motion of ebay was a well gd 1 i posted a link of then turbo or charge that then u dont need to worry about the handlin until after 300bhp

but you'll get better performance from an evo straight out of the box for less than the cost of doing that... as has been said the only downside with EVOs is the running costs but as long as you do your homework and buy one knowing the cost of parts and servicing I'd go for it

If your heart is set on Jap then there are other options for the same money.. RX7, Early Supra, Scooby, Skyline etc etc....

The question is more about what you want. For the same money you could get an M3 and play or you could build a Lancia Stratos (Hawk HF3000) or you could get the starting end of the Golf R32 bands... You could get a sorted classic car...... e-type,Austin Healy,MG,etc,etc

VAG, you could Quattro UR,Rallye and the turbo/VR6 it etc etc

So, what ever you do; do your homework. Join an owners site and get/buy one with history and understand the running costs.

That price bracket can buy you a LOT for your your money.

I know it doesn't help But what do you want????

Keep chatting and I know we can help you spend your money... :)

I know where mine would go in that range!

;)

im struggling to see what it is that makes Evos so expensive to service , or any other jap car for that matter .

we've serviced a couple of blown jap motors skyline R33 gtr + gt 's , scoobys , celica gt4's ect ect

and the bill never comes out at any where near £500-1000!!! we'd really struggle to make the bill near £200 !!

i can only assume wre are talking main stealer prices?

The reason i feel like i want to go for evo is the fact that it is a quick car standard, so you dont have to bolt things on to make it quick, you can to make it quicker but that your choice. I not gonna rush into it as like mentioned above need to find out about them and i would buy one from a club or something as it would have the dump vaule,induction kit and other little bits already on,as that will also save money on buying them.One of my best mates works for a subaru garage as mechanic,which also deal with mitsubishi and he's sed go for evo. He can do the servicing and other engines bits i would want doing. I suppose i will need to find out the insurence on one as being 24 i'll sure they'll rob me, and also need to sell house. so anybody want a 4 bed semi, with garage and massive garden in quiet village of winslow speak to me lol.

how many years no claims u got mate??

im 24 with 4 years protected no claims and i was quoted 1200 for a standard evo7 GSR import.

An evo will be as reliable as any other car as long as u make sure to service it exactly when said and don't skrimp on the parts used and make sure it warms up and cools down properly

well worth getting the alarm and timer set up. Plus looks cool when you walk away and the car tucks itself up at night! ;)

It may be worth getting an import as well. this company comes well recommended by lots of Jap car owners sites...

www.japcar4u.com

if you register with www.skylineowners.com they give you a password to the jap markets site.

But remember the insurance hits you as it is an import. There is a good thread on the owners site for the import process and costs associated to this. Worth a read for research if nothing else! Some (NOT all) sites are not as friendly as here so read first before posting. (experience speaking)

Do you want 4wheel drive?? sx range is a bargin for power on that money.

Remeber these cars need servicing every 5k usually.

On the EVO you can get more for your money on early EVO especially as 6 is like the holey grail in some circles and insurance tends to bit a bit higher. Might I also suggest you drive one as you will be surprised at how large/heavey they are, compared to the golf anyway.

I hope this helps a little

My mates mrs owns an Evo 2 - she picked it up for £2500 and its been brilliant, no probs and is always getting thrashed round a track somewhere. No matter how much you spend on a Golf it will never be as good as an Evo plus you'd have to spend stupid amounts of money to try and get it near the all round performance of one.