HELP - Belt just snapped! What is this???

Hi guys, I know hardly anything about engines, I hope somebody can help me here.

I was just driving home and the car started making a odd noise, this got worse and worse until about 30 seconds from my house it stopped, and then so did the power steering, lights etc. The belt has snapped and one of the pulley wheels is covered in melted rubber. I've attached a photo as I don't know what it is and how much it is going to be to repair it. I think its the oil pump?? How hard is this to change (whatever it is)? Any info much appreciated, Alex.

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1201113782_6727_FT0_vr6engine.jpg]1201113782_6727_FT0_vr6engine_.jpg[/lightbox]

serpentine belt. its the main belt for altenator, PAS pump air con etc...

Here's a guide for replacing the tensioner... enough info there to replace it your self too;

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?155363

If you have air con, you need a double ribbed belt, if you dont, you need the single ribbed belt.. available from a stealership near you :)

pete

When you say second wheel down do you mean the second wheel with the red arrow as shown on the first pic of the how to guide?

If you do then - you need to buy a new tensioner (the big round metal thing with the yellow arrow on it on the how to guide), you also need to buy a new belt. Basically the bearing in the smaller black pully on the tensioner seizes and wrecks the belt. Removing the tensioner is easy - just three bolts. Put a new one on and then follow the guide. Tensioner is about £50 and belt is about £20 from www.gsfcarparts.co.uk

Doesn't take long to do - just make sure you remove enought tension from the tensioner by screwing the bolt in quite a bit.

Also, some of the wheels are smooth and do not have grooves in them. When mine went I thought I had a load of melted rubber in the grooves which made it look smooth.