what year did the obd2 come in the golf??

a couple of months ago i bought a 94 m-reg vr6 golf, one of the things i was looking for was a low mileage obd2 cos they don't have the camchain troubles, anyway, there's subtle differences between mine and the mrs' vr which i thought was strange, her's is a 96 n-reg, but when i did an oilchange last week i discovered the engine had come from a breakers, and now my low mileage vr seems not to be :(

little things like a TB switch for closed throttle position, different pipe to the TB, the clocks take a while to register fuel and water temps - slow like mk2 guages, and tbh it is nowhere near as fast as the mrs one, although i have been told by the local mechnaic that her's is very quick for a vr!!

so ultimately i'd like to know, was the obd2 in an 94 golf??

uh-oh, so it's been converted then!!??

i heard it was a hard thing to convert an obd1 to obd2, is there any problems i should look for ie. non compatible parts??

one thing i have noticed is that if i have my lights, heaters and wipers on, i turn the ignition off but everything still works, i turn the headlights off and so does everything else :S

cheers guys!

basically the bottom end of a vr can be used on obd1 or obd2, the differences are that if you want to change an obd1 to obd2 like I have , you will need everything form an obd2 donor (loom,ecu etc etc) , Where as if you want to do the opposite which in this case it looks like the original obd1 has been replaced with an obd2 engine but instead of a full obd2 coversion they have simply swapped the bottoms and put your obd1 parts in place the the obd2 manifold, throttle body etc.

sounds like you've got it jezmoz, i hope this setup works ok, so far so good, but i'm also taking it for diagnostics next week to see what faults come up. it's nowhere near as punchy as the mrs' vr, but her's has also got a cat-back scorpion exhaust, whereas mine has a crappy £50 backbox!!

it is going better now too, since i moved the air mas meter closer to the TB, and found there was 1.5" of slack in the throttle cable!! lol