VR6 Tyres- any suggestions?

Hello! I need a complete set of new tyres- the Yokohama's on there were on the VR6 when I bought it and I'm not sure what to replace them with. I've got the standard original BBS alloys, the car's only dropped around 45mm on a Koni kit and I want tyres that are reasonably grippy and last. I don't tend to drive like a nutter so don't need anything best suited to the Nurburgring! Any ideas?!! Cheers- much appreciated! Dan :o)

• 2 weeks later...

i used to use toyo TS1 tires, good tires but the soft rubber tended to wear out quite fast, ( i lik e to experiment with different tires to find the best) the ones i have on my car just now are really crap, (i forget the brand/make) but when i go around bends and accelerate tires dont follow the steering wheel so it drifts BIG TIME.. im going to try BF GOODRICH G-FORCE T/A KDW next.. ok i have to import them from america cuz i cant find them anywhere over here but i really want to try them.. they look good too... unless anyone knows where i can get them over here in the UK

It all depends on how you drive your car as to what tyres to sellect if you want help and to know what tyre is good fro what conditions go to pistonheads and on the home page look down the left hand side their is a section that says resources and under that tyre finder service. its has top makes at a good price deliverd to your door

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fitted Toyo Proxes T1-R 205/50/15 to the front of my standard VR6 about 700 miles ago, replacing Hankook Ventus Prime that were on the car when I bought it. Really pleased with them. Apart from increased grip, the steering is much more precise. They seem to reduce roll as well, maybe because they are reinforced, so the sidewalls are stiffer?? Most unexpected improvement though is comfort - they have reduced the bump/thump and crashing over poor surfaces dramatically, it is a revalation. Can't comment on wear rate yet, but given the improvement I'm not too concerned about it. Black Circles sell them for £48 each, but you then need to get them fitted or £61 fitted. I'm now going to put them on the back, even though my backs are fine.

I have a set of Verdistiens on 16" old style Momos at the moment but they really need changing (worn threads)..They were crap for the first 2 weeks (considered bringin them back)..after that they were great..really held fast on all but verry wet roads...barely spin in 2nd...At 130yoyos a piece they were quite expensive..Ive got 8k miles (9 months outa them).. but now they are wearing thin and got a little sideways scare 2nite.....I had a set of 15" rota light weight rims wit Toyo T1Rs on my mk2 GTI about a year ago and it handled like it was on rails..(wheels n same tyres now on girlfriends rover with still very good thread)...Should I go with the cheaper Toyos or what is common choice for 16" wheels...**** Can any body who reads this just input what they run as reference points please ****

I run:-

Dunlop Sport sp9000....great grip wet or dry

Pirelli pzero.......also very good good wet or dry...'ring tested as well

Yoko prada spec 2 (i think)......good tyres but nearly wore out as were on wheels when bought, but do feel like they would grip well new

I run:-

Dunlop Sport sp9000....great grip wet or dry

Pirelli pzero.......also very good good wet or dry...'ring tested as well

Yoko prada spec 2 (i think)......good tyres but nearly wore out as were on wheels when bought' date=' but do feel like they would grip well new

[/quote']

Yes the yoko's are wicked!!! totally transformed my car from an understeery vaigue car to a point and push almost as hard as you dare car! i love them and not to much even for 215/35/18!!

• 3 weeks later...