A bit of bad luck? or more serious? , Rudy VR6..... Techy help needed

I wil tel the story then you can work it out...

I was stuck in traffic yesterday with the VR6 waiting to get to maky d's, she was getin fairly hot but the fans where cutting in and out so that wasnt a problem...

I went round the drive threw (que 30 min old big mack, yuck) and parked up to eat my burger... When I turned it off it was red hot.. I ate my burger and went to restart the car to drive off but it wouldnt turn over, just making a sort of "de" noise like the started is trying, but not doing anything. I put the lights on and tried again and it killed the lights, like there was a really big drain on it....

I thought oh great the starter is stuck, fantastic! I phoned the AA to come sort it out and by the time the guy got there is was fairly cool by then, he turned the key and it fired staight up

There is normaly a electric water pump on the side of the engine that keeps pumping the water round the engine after you turn it off when its red hot, but I dont have mine (its looks ugly and none of the show engines have them) so I am wondering if it heat seized??

Also the starter motor is only about 1000 milles old so I cant see there being a problem with that!

Has anybody else ever had this problem after removing the pump? or am I worrying over nothing?

Hmm. The VR6's naturally run VERY hot. The second pump was installed for a reason. The reason being that it prevents "heat seizing". Gav: You're lucky. Normally wthout the second pump VR6 lumps have a very short life span. There's a region in the middle of the VR6 block that gets really hot when it's running that the VW engineers couldn't route coolant channels to, basically because the cylinders are so close together. Hence the reason they installed a second pump. Anyway, get the pump back in. It might look ugly, but if you drive more than 20 miles a week you'll need it!

Taken from my 'Mother of all VR6 posts' thead;

In addition' date=' an Auxiliary Electric Coolant Pump also circulates engine coolant anytime the ignition is switched on.

The Auxiliary Electric Coolant Pump also runs when the engine is switched off and the coolant temperature goes over 107° C (220° F). It runs in conjunction with the Radiator Cooling After-run System.

Circulating the coolant during this time helps cool the engine block and prevent the possibility of air pockets forming in the cylinder head.[/quote']

mine has never worked cos it used ti wine like a bitch and it used to run till the battery died. I have done 35k without it and it has never been a problem. I must admit though my car gets up to 90 and it never goes above or below that. And the head gasket is fine cos the car made 198bhp recently

Ive got alot of mixed response to this, I priced the pump up today from VW and its £70... I wil try GSF tomorow, Ive just spent 2250 having it rebuilt with a schrick cam etc so it does run a bit warm...

The only reason its not there is because when I took the pipe off it broke the plastic suround.... So the electrocs are ok for it, I reckon im going to buy a new one and put it back on...