I'd forgotten about the joy of VW suspension !

I decided to lower my VR6 as the car had the original 150k mile and very tired suspension on it when I bought it and the handling was a little precarious.. anyway, after a string of fords with the 2 bolts holding the top strut mounts id forgotten about the VW arrangement of a nut and an allen key... not good when the nuts have 13 years of rust on...and the allen key section is cracked and useless.. so i creep down to a local garage, get them to crack the top nut with there windy guns.. crawl home ... and yes, theres another nut underneath for the bearing...arggghh... luckily i had a spare nut, so out came the grinder and i chopped the old strut in half to get the little dust boot out... 3 hours of swearing to do 1 strut !!! tomorrow i will do the other 3 ! i have to say im so glad to be back in a powerfull VW again though.. the noise.... these are great cars. :)

I undo my top mount nut using A £15 12v gun from walworths' date='the type design for undoing wheel bolts .It has abit of torque them guns .(works for me !)

[/quote']

i wondered if they would be any good with such a rusty nut ? you recommend it then ? i may buy one and have a try..£15 isnt bad and it will speed things up for looser bolts i suppose ? i want to get my wishbones done aswell but the drivers side one again has a bolt in in that wont turn...ggrrr maybe im just becoming weak in my old age :) why do people service there cars, fir exhausts and filters but leave the basic stuff until its too hard to get off ? lol

Duck oil is good too ' date=' I'm not young either lol,I bought the gun for the wheel bolts,I was surprise how easy the top mount nut comes off ,I now do/undo all my nuts with the gun when ever possible so to speak ! :)

[/quote']

thanks for that.. i'd best go and hunt one down now ;)