Woo Hoo! Water + Methanol injection here I come!

The big VR just passed its MOT after a few weekends spent fapping about with new brakes, tyres and intake pipes (for emissions).

So as a treat, I've bought it an Aquamist water injection kit. The guy reckons they rock with a 25% mixture of Methanol......!

I saw a 20bhp drop with heat soak on the rollers which is whats persuaded me to go this route. Theres no room for an intercooler.

Jules

hi mate, got 4k to spend on the vr so im looking at the supercharging route again. nik saran seems to be the best bet at the mo. whats heat soak ? and are there any other potential poblems with running a supercharger ? ive heard that vr's with em dont idle right

hi mate' date=' got 4k to spend on the vr so im looking at the supercharging route again. nik saran seems to be the best bet at the mo. whats heat soak ? and are there any other potential poblems with running a supercharger ? ive heard that vr's with em dont idle right[/quote']

heat soak - everything: manifold, head, water all gets hot and the engine cant get any cool air anymore. Hot air makes the engine less powerful.

potential problems - many!

if you have a weak engine you just wont get the benefit - everything has to be in tip-top condition.... compression, headgasket, cooling, oil, plugs, leads, coilpack etc etc

I find that any problems are amplified now I'm SC'd. For example, you need a very good spark when you are running forced induction (the denser air is more insulating so more power is needed for a spark) - so if you have a slightly suspect plug or lead or coilpack, it will misfire during boost - but you might not have noticed this without the SC.

I found that even with a good head gasket, it forced cylinder pressure into the coolant passages past the head gasket - which was a problem. The solution was to fit ARP head studs which gives a better clamping force.

If you have an earlier VR6 with the delicate hot wire MAF, they can run rough and buck and jerk if you install the kit "as is" out the box. The solution is to fit the MAF before the charger, not after - so air is pulled through the MAF not blown through it. Mine idles as good as it did when normally aspirated.

Other problems - you will eat tyres and front suspension bushes for breakfast if you have a heavy right foot. Its what you would expect from putting more power through the front of the car really.

Engine mounts are another weak point.

List goes on....

Jules