VR6 continuous tapping sound coming from engine???

Howzat gents,

I have a 98' Golf VR6 - recently there's a tapping sound coming from the engine (the side where the throttle body is), its not a knock cos this sound is there whether the car is idling or in motion (so I'm guessing definately a constant moving part) I have no loss in power, no gain in fuel comsumption, temp normal, oil temp normal...but on the dip stick there's small particals (not sure what it is - jus parying its not filings!!!) :o - There was also a noise this past Saturday on top of this tapping sound - like something was dragging on the road from the engine, but there was nothing hanging!!! And still all of her vitals were normal!

Took the car to my VW spec yesterday and its still there - but he says the noise isn't there anymore?? *-)

But he does know the sound cos I recorded it on my phone.

So guys any help here would be appprecitated.

Thanks

I know doesn't sound good at all, his gonna check it out for me today, he said the other tapping noise could be one of my hydraulic lifters he said for sure one is noisy and because i jus have a carport the cold could make it worse so thats why the sound is so intense and also explains why he cant hear it now. (Its winter in SA).

I dont deal with the STealerships his a VW spec very trust worthy always worked on my car. So by the looks of things gonna replace all 12 hydraulic lifters and gonna do my control arm bushes.

The dragging noise i was hearing thats one of my driveshafts thats phucked :o - this is the 3rd time his doing them 8o|

Will keep you guys posted...should know by lunch time whats cooking with the bits in the oil, and how much everything will come to...