Went to the Huddersfield meet yesterday, and on the way home I noticed some black smoke coming out from the exhaust when giving it some gas. Must have lasted a couple minutes and then it was clear, bit like what diesels cars do when they put there foot down.

And when I was coming to work this morning I noticed blue smoke from the exhaust , when i was coming down a hill and putting on the gas at the bottom of the hill. I thought this might just be overrun, but when I put the clutch in and stepped on the gas pedal it was doing it again. Did this a couple of times but then stopped, tried it few times again on the road to work and in the work car park but no more smoking.

Getting bit worried as this looks like it could be costly. :-(

have u overfilled with too much oil in the oil cap

wrong fuel

strange only does it some times !

what about on the mortorway and say 70 mph

like most people say Valve seals or at the worst the rings

take to a good mechanic and i'm sure they will tell in 10 mins

sorry cant really help any more but keep us updated and good luck

Right drove home from work, let the engine warm up as ushall, but then ragged the arse of it like stole it. And not even hint of smoke of any type.

I usually just drive about at cruising speed, could it be that i don't drive it hard often and its just build of carbon, and that with BP ultimate and driving hard its just clearing a load of shit out.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

BP ultimate is packed with detergents and will properly dredge everything out on a run when everything heats up, I noticed similar symptoms when I 1st started using it, but it stopped after a while, now its the only fuel I use, I swear fuel economy is better aswel on a run, not so much in town but theres defo a few gains to be had..

Like you say, keep an eye on it, but it probably is the Ultimate

• 1 year later...

Easy to do when the heads off. You'll need a valve spring compressor to remove all the valves to enable access to the seals.

If the heads on the car you need to compress the cylinders using a special tool connected to an air-line. This keeps the valves up enabling you to remove the springs (which you also need a special valve spring compressor). Then you can replace the seals.

Easy if you've got the tools...