VR6 Owners Club Track Day

Not done a track day before - now starting to worry' date=' seeing as no one wants to put their VR's on there!!!

But I'm still up for putting my VR6 on the track.

[ Edited Mon Nov 15 2004, 10:16PM ']

Hey theres no need to worry if you go out on a owner cluib day its full of like minded owners who all love there cars just as much a you love yours so no one wants to crash all you need to do is go out take it steady for a few laps possible get someone who has a bit of experience to co-pilot with you to show you the ropes and racing lines then trust me you'll love it and just want to do it again again and again :P

depends how many laps u get. i'd be willing to give the vr some stick for a couple of laps to show you mk2 peeps up' date=' then cane you in my mk.2 as well, lol![/quote']

Matt the 16v is waiting......lol :P;)

there's always the armco to worry about %-6

lol......that why i'd take the 16v.................ive never driven on a track so it will be "all the gear and no idea" .......as long as i get round in one piece i'll be happy .....it may take me most of the day to do it though :o:P:P:P

What do they look for when they scrutineer the cars? I'm on the lookout for a cheap (£100 or less ;) ) MK2 8V for things like this. Would have no other use (unless someone has a good car with a knackered engine that i could have for very cheap!). Ah, also need somewhere to store it too, i have no room at my house. Time to have a nice chat to my parents i think!! lol

What do they look for when they scrutineer the cars? I'm on the lookout for a cheap (£100 or less ;) ) MK2 8V for things like this. Would have no other use (unless someone has a good car with a knackered engine that i could have for very cheap!). Ah' date=' also need somewhere to store it too, i have no room at my house. Time to have a nice chat to my parents i think!! lol [/quote']

All they do is sound check the exhaust to make sure its within the sound level as castle combe villagers complain about the racetrack and the noise :-(

Ok Claire' date=' put your money (car) where your mouth is and take your VR around Coombe. Need to set a good example and all that! :-P[/quote']

&| %-6 !amazed ermm will have to thikn about that I love my Vr6 but I hate the handling of it my mkII's like a go cart to drive now thats why I love taking that out 8)

sounds good to me...would like to really test out my AP racing brakes...make sure they do their job properly!

They do, Toby ;)

I was braking 50 yards later than my mate in his Impreza on track in my old / your Mk2.

He let me have a drive too and his brakes felt like sponge in comparison.

They never really get up to temperature on the road but once they're warm you'll be amazed how late and hard you can brake! NEVER fade either.

Can I come? :)

Of course you can BUT................ i'll have to wedge a brick behind the go pedal just to even things up a bit...or you might be limited to 2nd gear. :P:P;)

[ Edited Tue Nov 16 2004' date= 09:08PM ]

:P I'll leave it in 4th, Tommy.

I've always found that big differences in power don't always mean big differences in lap times on track though.

I've gone past far more powerful cars on trackdays that don't go round corners very well. Likewise I've been blown away by smaller engined, nimbler motors (Caterhams and the Mini Cooper S are always a pain in the arse!)

However quick your car - you'll love it, and soon realise that you don't drive that quickly on the road after all. ;)

I went on a trackday July this year with the BMW Mini owners club, It was at Croft, I had a whale of a time with the Mark2.

In the morning most of those feisty little Cooper S were flying round the track, I'd leave the on the straights but they'd catch me up in the bends, come lunchtime i found out most if not all had been there the year before and of course they knew the track pretty well which was a big help.

But come the afternoon session, i aquired an instructor for 20mins then i began to get the hang of this trackday lark, and to be honest nothing was staying with me towards the end of the day, except one of those stealth boomer looking Lotus Exige's on slicks. Throughtout the whole day only 1 Mini owner lost it, croft is very good as there are plenty of grass run off's.

My view is, if you want to have a day out and do something alittle different with ya VR then it's well worth the money. You tend to know the limits of your car after a while and because it's your pride a joy you know yourself how far you dare push it.

I've been invited back next year with the BMW Mini Owners Club just because everyone thought my car sounded wicked. I maybe able to wangle a couple of other invitations next year if anyone from the VR6 OC from the north is interested.

Im hopefuly going to be hitting Goodwood again this December for the 7th time running 8)

Great fast circuit which is ideal for high power fwd cars as there are lots of fast sweeping corners so traction is not really a problem.

Its costing me £125 for the full day which is pretty reasonable - but considering it was £60 7 years ago it has increased slightly more than inflation :o

Best track day ive ever attended was Anglesey in North Wales - the track/backdrop is superb - i recommend it to anyone.

I bought a beaten up old Saab 900 Turbo as i had just provisionally sold my Tuned 900 and didnt want to break it or stack it - the Saab i bought cost me £400 and i did 900 miles in 2 1/2 days with no problems whatsoever 8) - i passed plenty of quicker 300+bhp Saabs on track so its not down to what your driving but how you drive it 8) 8)

Once youve been on track its addictive ;)

Heres a pic of my £400 900 turbo getting a bit out of shape ;)

I was lapping within 1 second of a 320bhp 9000 8)

900hunt.bmp

Pete.

[ Edited Sun Nov 21 2004, 10:37PM ]

Im hopefuly going to be hitting Goodwood again this December for the 7th time running 8)

Great fast circuit which is ideal for high power fwd cars as there are lots of fast sweeping corners so traction is not really a problem.

Its costing me £125 for the full day which is pretty reasonable - but considering it was £60 7 years ago it has increased slightly more than inflation :o

Best track day ive ever attended was Anglesey in North Wales - the track/backdrop is superb - i recommend it to anyone.

I bought a beaten up old Saab 900 Turbo as i had just provisionally sold my Tuned 900 and didnt want to break it or stack it - the Saab i bought cost me £400 and i did 900 miles in 2 1/2 days with no problems whatsoever 8) - i passed plenty of quicker 300+bhp Saabs on track so its not down to what your driving but how you drive it 8) 8)

900hunt.bmp

Pete.

[ Edited Sun Nov 21 2004' date= 10:37PM ]

class 8)

900hunt.bmp

Pete.

[ Edited Sun Nov 21 2004' date= 10:37PM ]

tandino if your down goodwood ,give us a shout & I'll meet you down there, should have my vr back from stealth for 18th December. (track day with easytrack)

Interested to what a manual vr does round there.

simey

[ Edited Mon Nov 22 2004, 10:36PM ]