EIP - I read on the VW Vortex that they're going under and their after sales support was awful anyway, and some of their parts were questionable.

The EIP turbo manifold for example, is a bit odd. It's a tubular thing with flanges to bolt onto the stock manifolds. I don't like that. The stock manifolds aren't designed to support the weight of a turbo or sustain the high exhaust gas temps you'll see on a turbo engine. A beefy replacement nickel/iron manifold is how to do it properly and it will last longer.

A better solution would be the ATP manifold, but you have to use an internal wastegate and flip the turbo round the other way.

Or better still, the proper RHD manifold for the job as sold by IBIVR or Transporter.

Turbos and Superchargers..... having had both I can say the turbo provides the bigger thrill. Sure a charger bolts on easily, but when you want to increase the boost, the problems really start. With a turbo, the boost is already there and you just choose how much of it you want. The GT35R can make 40psi of boost!! But you can allow only 8psi into the engine if you want. The only thing stopping you is the torque limit of the gearbox.

The turbo is a natural progression from a super, well, it was for me as I wasn't impressed with the Vortech to be honest. A lot of people are though, but we all have different tastes and requirements.

Joules, Sorry mate, I'm not aware of any 'kits' as such for UK cars. The manifold is the heart of it though and the one sold by IBIVR is correct for RHD cars, so everything else except the front pipe is off the shelf. So you can pick and choose what you want. I don't think the pictures work in my DIY guide as I've changed ISPs! I need to sort that!

I don't really want to recommend what I've done to mine as it cost a fortune! You can do it a lot cheaper with a journal bearing turbo and a front mount intercooler!

I'm not surprised VF Engineering are going into Turbos, and kind of ironic given they were totally against them a few years ago :-) I think the MK5 GTI has spawned interest in turbos again. APR have already produced a 350+ hp kit for the GTI!

There's never been a better selection of turbos and they're getting better all the time. Less laggy, more powerful and longer lasting.

Kev - No problem mate. Thought I would ask as you really know your stuff!

Unfortunately I am not up on all the odds and sods needed got a fair idea - but would not know what turbo is better than the other......Going up to the Phrim tomorrow - they said they can build a kit from scratch so maybe a custom kit would be easier to taylor to my driving style and budget!!

Would be nice to blow away an Evo or two!! (6)

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/VW_Turbo_Kits/MK3_VR6_Stage_2_Turbo_Kit.html

is this turbo kit a bag ov shite then?? cuz i woz under the impression i just needed a downpipe n intercooler pipes cuz its 4 lhd?? i reckon someone should make a list of everything you need down to nuts n bolts, fittings and sizes etc!! lol

every1 is just telling me to buy a mk4 turbo!! but im thinkin ummm NOOOO!!! a vr6 turbo is going to make too much of a satisfying noise!!!

It's not shite, but it won't work on your car. The software won't work obviously, so you'll have to get a map done in the UK, or go standalone.

The manifold appears to be a copy of the ATP turbo one, which can work on RHD cars if you rotate the turbo so that the hotside is on the offside, but then you'll have to use an internal wastegate, which renders the supplied turbo and downpipe useless.

It's tricky because the manifold you need is supplied by ibivr or transporter, but neither are on here very often unfortunately.

Once you have the manifold, the rest is straight forward.

[blockquote]Evos are nothing against a VRT mate, not even the FQ360. [/blockquote]

Well that is great news!

I can have a kit fitted and installed for around the 5k mark only thing is it will devaule the car...

Black 1998 Highline 3dr manual with only 36000 miles on it...now I don't intent to sell it (at the moment) so I suppose it wouldn’t matter but it has been on me mind!! So has the thought of all that power potential ^o)

• 3 weeks later...

Piece togheter a kit, and use C2 Motorsports software like me. Its like running a completly stock VR6. The software upgrade is very impressive.

OBD1 they have a setup that max out the injectors at around 15PSI. The MAF maxe\s out at 11PSI.

OBD2 they have up to 440 injectors that max out around 19-22psi. You get a new/bigger MAF housing for the OBD2.

The C2 Software doesn't work on UK OBD2. We are version 3.8. The US uses version 5.8.

Standalone ECU is best as you have full control of the tune no matter what you put on the engine.

Strange that UK should have diffrent ECU'S from rest off europe. Or does it?

Bosch number: 0261 203 968/969,

and the VW number: 74 021 906256

C2 sent me a US ECU that is working in my car. 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers chaps - Think I am gonna have to do a fair bit of research into this, to get my head round it all. Not to mention save up a few beans for it all.

Had a drive in a VR6T - :o Unbelievable power!!! Sold it to me from the start.

Did not honestly think it would put all the power down - but it did @ 411bhp.

Could not stop grinning!! Serious bit of kit.