• 2 weeks later...

The underbonnet unit is the Pump and Control module, the ECU is the unit that lives underneath the rear seat.

I have a replacement ABS pump / control module waiting to go in my VR (the existing one keeps producing error codes and illuminating the ABS light), but I haven't had the guts yet to take the job on myself.

Physically removing/refitting it looks simple enough, but I'm worried about brake fluid spillage.

Replacement of the ECU would be a 10-minute job.

[ Edited Tue Aug 17 2004, 01:41AM ]

Have just read service report from my VW dealer, it says " ABS hydraulic pump control unit faulty - part number 1J0698217A = £518.88 excl Vat and Labour"

I take it this is the part under the bonnet? How much has anybody else paid for theirs?

• 2 weeks later...

Slacky, I have exactly the same fault, and I ain't gonna go to the Dealership. Parting with £600+ is bad enough, but my local VW Stealers are a snobby, arrogant bunch who consider my car too old to bother with. If I go there I'll just get another lecture about how the cost of repair exceeds the car's trade value etc. etc. etc.

Decent 2nd hand ABS pumps can be had for £70 or less.

I have started a new thread HERE with a couple of queries regarding the replacement procedure.

If someone (ex-VW techs perhaps?) can answer these, I'll be happy to fully document the replacement procedure for the "Guides" section on this site.

[ Edited Sat Aug 28 2004, 12:43AM ]