arch rolling in the north. problem solved. i bought a rolling tool!

ive had a quote of £90 to roll my rear arches by a local garage. ive seen some of their work on a friends car and was very impressed, so much so ive decided to have my car resprayed with them in a couple of months, but my arches are in desperate need of rolling or ill chew up another set of £80 each tyres. lol.

so basically i asked what they could do for me and he replied with. "well, with mk3 arches theyre a bit tricky as the rear lip is spot welded quite frequently accross the arch, so may need to be cut and re-welded as the skins will split if i just roll them, also it may not be a standard roll as they may end up being pulled about 10mm by the time ive finished. but ill clean the sealant from inside, and reseal them afterwards to avoid rust. and ill try my best not to crack the paint but it normally happens anyway, especially as you have a couple of rust spots on them already"

soooo... im a little worried now. i really dont want to have them cut my arches, even if they do re-weld them, i was under the impression they could be done without cutting. also, i dont know why they will end up being pulled as the wheels arent that wide. there is only about 30mm of the actual arch lip catching the tyre. not that im too bothered as 10mm isnt that much anyway. as long as the arch keeps shape. im now starting to wonder if hes actually using a rolling tool or just having a go with a baseball bat or something ???

what should i do. ive agreed to the work and dont know anywhere else local to me that can do the job (north east/middlesbrough) as ive searched everywhere nearby thats id trust, plus the fact that his work is spot on with the other cars ive seen so is he just being rough if he does it the way he says he has to? could i just tell him under no circumstances should he cut the arch and if he cant do it without doing so then ill not bother having it done.

can anyone who has had it done fill me in on how theirs was done. or pass advice.

rear arches are single skined as there are structual to the car !

they shouldnt have to cut your arches noty at all !

i had mine done in stok on trent and the guy came to my house ( mobile tyre fitter) warmed up the paint with a heat gun rolled the arches both rears and charged me £25 a side

if i was you id try some where else first !

I had several main stream garages refuse to do my arches becuase they couldn;t guarantee the finish would be left smooth and 'ripple' free...

local garage man did it for £100.. folded and sealed up... , but that was it.. no cutting business....?

just found out hes not using a roller, but a dolly/hammer oldschool technique. hes settled me a little by saying he wont cut the arches and reweld unless they split as he folds the lip. which he has seen a few times before. hes guaranteed me they will be as strong as before if he has to re-weld them. (yeah right, hows he gonna test that) well, just gott get the locknuts off now as i still cant find the damn key.

Is rolled where they just get read of the lip so the tyres dont rub and the arch still looks standard.

And flared wheres they bring the arch out leaving it flush with the line folowing the arch causing it to look fully smooth if you know what i mean

cheers jez. ive bit the bullet and bought a tool now from frost... and got a heatgun from ebay. so let the pestering for a favour commence lol. and i spoke to wide wheels today, they called me back after i inquired about rolling. and found myself nearly ordering some 8.5" steelies lol.