Doing an oil change yourself?

did mine myself on my gravel driveway

I needed 2 trolley jacks (or axle stands) to get the front end high enough to fit a bucket under the sump plug to drain it, which is more than high enough to get at the oil filter

HTH

Phill

I've done lots of VR oil changes on the driveway - just put the front of the car on axle stands and you can get easy access to the oil filter (in front of the engine) and sump drain plug (at the back of the sump.

1) Park the car on level ground then run the car for 15 mins to warm up the oil

2) jack the front of the car up and put it on axle stands both sides. Make sure you locate the axle stands on the proper points on the chassis!

3) undo the sump plug (19mm bolt) and drain the oil into a container (leave draining for 10 mins)

4) put the sump plug back in and tighten to 22lb-ft

5) place the container under the oil filter housing and remove the allen bolt (6mm I think) from the bottom of the housing. more oil will drain into the container.

6) refit & tighten the allen bolt.

7) undo the oil filter cap (use a 36mm socket). A long bar may be required. The cap will come off with the oil filter still attached.

8) Discard the old oil filter and the rubber O-ring that goes around the edge of the cap.

9) Fit the new filter and the new O-ring that came with it. Obviously the new filter & O-ring go on the same way the old ones came off!

9) offer the oil filter cap up to the housing on the engine, screw it in by hand as far as you can, then tighten to 22lb-ft.

10) Put the new oil into the engine. You will need 6 litres - that's one standard 5ltr can plus one 1ltr top-up bottle. Quantum Synta Silver 10W-40 (available from VW dealers or GSF) is the best stuff to use on a standard VR.

11) Start engine and idlefor 2 minutes, then check oil level is between the 2 marks on the dipstick.

12) Take car off axle stands and make a cup of tea.

If anyone can provide some photos to go with this procedure, I'll put it in the guides section.

I've done lots of VR oil changes on the driveway - just put the front of the car on axle stands and you can get easy access to the oil filter (in front of the engine) and sump drain plug (at the back of the sump.

1) Park the car on level ground then run the car for 15 mins to warm up the oil

2) jack the front of the car up and put it on axle stands both sides. Make sure you locate the axle stands on the proper points on the chassis!

3) undo the sump plug (19mm bolt) and drain the oil into a container (leave draining for 10 mins)

4) put the sump plug back in and tighten to 22lb-ft

5) place the container under the oil filter housing and remove the allen bolt (6mm I think) from the bottom of the housing. more oil will drain into the container.

6) refit & tighten the allen bolt.

7) undo the oil filter cap (use a 36mm socket). A long bar may be required. The cap will come off with the oil filter still attached.

8) Discard the old oil filter and the rubber O-ring that goes around the edge of the cap.

9) Fit the new filter and the new O-ring that came with it. Obviously the new filter & O-ring go on the same way the old ones came off!

9) offer the oil filter cap up to the housing on the engine' date=' screw it in by hand as far as you can, then tighten to 22lb-ft.

10) Put the new oil into the engine. You will need 6 litres - that's one standard 5ltr can plus one 1ltr top-up bottle. Quantum Synta Silver 10W-40 (available from VW dealers or GSF) is the best stuff to use on a standard VR.

11) Start engine and idlefor 2 minutes, then check oil level is between the 2 marks on the dipstick.

12) Take car off axle stands and make a cup of tea.

If anyone can provide some photos to go with this procedure, I'll put it in the guides section.

[/quote']

A worthy sticky IMO...nice one

Nice set of idiot proof instructions there mate cheers! Our drive is on a slight slope but I've had the car on axle stands with the rear wheels chocked to stop any movement plenty of times. If the sump plug is at the back it'll be ok anyway.

Now can you do a similar guide for changing spark plus?