Golf 2.8 V6 4MOTION - any good?

I sadly have never driven one but driven the R32 mk4 - the 4wd system does handle very well but then they are alot heavier. It all depends on what your after - An old classic or a newer less rare car which is just as nice. Power to weight ratio they are basically the same. So in my eyes it all comes down to Looks and what you'd prefer

Recently sold my highline, was thinking of a 4motion to replace it with, but when I took a few out I was not impressed to be honest, very comfortable, lots of grip, but not very quick IMO, my VR6 highline was faster and more fun!!! they should be called v6 Slow motion.

A 4mo is personally what I would like to get after my VR' date=' but maybe add a charger into the equation to counteract the additional weight of the 4WD and heavier car.

[/quote']

Surely by the time youve spent buyin a charger you will hav spent nearly r32 money? for simlar power

A 4mo is personally what I would like to get after my VR' date=' but maybe add a charger into the equation to counteract the additional weight of the 4WD and heavier car.

[/quote']

Surely by the time youve spent buyin a charger you will hav spent nearly r32 money? for simlar power

You can get a decent 4mo for £7k + say £3k for a charger, that's £10k for a car that will do over 300bhp and wipe the floor with a standard R32 which will cost £13+.

Just checked autotrader and there is a 111k miles R32 for £11.5k!

[/quote']

You can get a decent 4mo for £7k + say £3k for a charger, that's £10k for a car that will do over 300bhp and wipe the floor with a standard R32 which will cost £13+.

Just checked autotrader and there is a 111k miles R32 for £11.5k!

you wont 300 bhp from a 3k fitted charger to my knowledge...more like 240-260 as i say simlar to r32 power and id rather spend teh extra couiple of grand and get an 'R' better interior bumpers ect

The 4Motion is a great base car to work from if you want to do some modding. They are relatively cheap to buy and will make 300BHP easily if you fit a 'charger and the haldex 4wd will allow you to make use of all that power (unlike in a FWD mk3 VR6).

The standard-looking exterior would make it a real sleeper too.

Definitely worth a look if you find one for the right price.

"the 4 motion is faster than a standard vr6 otherwise its not but u are gettin a newer car with all modcons nd maybe low mileage"

I am not convinced by this to be honest, obviously its newer, but the slow motions I've played with or driven have not been any quicker than a VR, and as for mod cons, my highline had air con, sunroof, heated seats, heated mirror's etc(like they all have).... apart from rain sensetive wipers the slow mo's i looked had nothing else to shout about. Don't get me wrong, I seriously looked at them as a replacement, but as soon as I took a couple for a drive I knew exactly why VW brought the R32 out!!! (which I can't afford!!)

Jimbo

On paper the 4motion has similar performance to a standard VR - both have very low 7 secs 0-60 with similar top speed. However (not sure about the 4 motion) but the factory performance figures for the mk3 VR were conservative from VW as it's quoted to have 174bhp standard but in fact the later OBD2 mk3's have 185-190bhp. I assume VW only took power readings on the earlier obd1. Power to weight gives the mk3 the advantage in my opinion (actually has exactly the same power to weight as the R32).

In my own experience I've had a play with a serious CTR driver (which is a fair bit quicker than a 4 motion) and had dead on same acceleration out of a roundabout and long straight but my vr actually opened the gap up above 40-50mph. I also kept up with a Porsche Boxter (probably the lowest powered version) but was fun all the same.

However going back to the main question as an alternative to a mk3 I would definitely say yes. It is newer and has 4 wheel drive and very good build quality and has smooth 24v. Far nicer than the V5 version.

there is only mili seconds in it parkers recon its 6.9 and the vr 7.2 the thing that makes the car good is like antera said it can user all the power u put into it because of its 4 motion system. this makes it very good in the wet and in my view handles better than the mk3 (if both were standard) otherwise if you did both things to each car it should still handle better (oh and in the snow there fckin ace)

Thanks for that everyone. I don't quite know what to do now, on the one hand I'd like a replacement VR6, but the 4 motion looks good too. I would rather spend 3-ish than 6+ish on a motion, but ... hmm, I suppose I will just have to keep looking and see what comes up ...

Thanks for that everyone. I don't quite know what to do now' date=' on the one hand I'd like a replacement VR6, but the 4 motion looks good too. I would rather spend 3-ish than 6+ish on a motion, but ... hmm, I suppose I will just have to keep looking and see what comes up ...

[/quote']

youd want to spend 3grand ish on a 4motion??? bloody hell mate your having a laugh if thats what you mean.

No, I didn't mean that at all. 3k-VR6. 6k-4motion.

Thanks for that everyone. I don't quite know what to do now' date=' on the one hand I'd like a replacement VR6, but the 4 motion looks good too. I would rather spend 3-ish than 6+ish on a motion, but ... hmm, I suppose I will just have to keep looking and see what comes up ...

[/quote']

youd want to spend 3grand ish on a 4motion??? bloody hell mate your having a laugh if thats what you mean.