Ive got a misfire on my car at the mo, it seems worse after a longish run and its generally hesitating and cutting out just between 2-3k rpm - before and after these revs its fine. Had a new set of leads on it last xmas, they were proper VW red ones. I reckon it could be the leads - what do you think? I'll get it on VAG com before I buy some tho just incase. Also, might be connected - the handbrake light comes on sometimes when the cars missing.

Can you see any arching around the coilpack Mark? Ive had this before and just took the leads of and gave them a bit of a clean around the connectors and re-seated them. Was fine afterwards. If the handbrake light coming on is related its probably due to a dodgy earth I would have thought.

Cheers for the replies - not checked the coil pack or anything yet as its fine from cold but a clean cant hurt - I'll have a look for any arcing too. Mart if you find out anything let me know, its really annoying but its gonna have to wait til Im back from the ring now - glad im not taking my car!

Hi Guys

I've just took my car to VW Last Friday - Same problems. The misfire might be the Lampa Probe sensor on you exhaust - that is what they told me. The handbrake light is a small "rotar" in your rear wheel hub which is not working or faulty. I replaced the Coil Pack hoping it would work but R2000.00 later - not the problem!!

Haven't received my car back as yet - hopefully today - still busy with the clutch

I thought the handbrake light was just for the handbrake? I.e. the switch thats connected to the handbrake handle under the plastic console.

It also indicates brake fluid level low and is connected to the front pad wear sensors, if applicabale.

lol - must be something in the air!

since last week, my highline has started misfiring, BUT only between 1-2000 revs - once it gets past 2000, it fires normally. also, it is fine from cold, but after about 5 minutes, it starts getting sluggish...

it's defo not the coil pack, cos that went on me last year and it fires differently when the coil pack is the problem. the car jerks forward when the coil pack is dodgy, but now it just seems really sluggish when it's misfiring...

Had a look quick look and listen today before it got dark, couldn't find much wrong with the leads, cap or rotor arm, though couldn't get to the plugs before it got dark though.

And had another problem today as well It didn't want to idle when 1st started (don't think its the idle valve coz cleaned that out the other day)

Will try and have a look again 2mos but i've got a feeling the headgasket mite be leaking so gonna give it a compression test and see what that brings up (No i'm not bein dramatic i've just had a fair few go before and it feels the same this time but hopefully i'm wrong

Hi Guys

Got my car back this morning - the ABS light that comes on might be the speed sensor in the rear wheels. I replaced the one, now the other one gives a problem so need to take it back again!!

Clutch is sorted - feel like a new car.

Handbrake light is off now - the brake fluid holders float was not going down to the bottom so now it does.

No more misfire on the car and it goes like a dream now - Replaced the Lamda Probe sensor on the exhaust.