need new engine! advice please

:-( my timing chain decided to snap a week or 2 ago and the mechanic that is fixing it said that it has done so much damage i might as well get a new engine - gutted! anyway i dont know a great deal about mechanics so was wondering if you guys could help. i found an engine from a 94 vr6 which i assume is obd 1, mine is a 97 model (obd 2) so was wondering if there would be any problems with it fitting in mine? also heard from various people that obd 1's have less power than obd 2's, is this right?

im not sure about the chain either tbh' date=' do you reckon its worth replacing the chain on this new one before it goes in? dont want it happening again but not sure how much more i can afford at the moment!

[/quote']

Yes. All day long. parts are cheap, all the money is in the labour (box off job).

While the engines not in the car it is definalty worth doing.

Tom.

If your still looking I have just bought an OBD2 engine and have an OBD1 car so desperately want an OBD1 engine to make everything much much easier. It's from a '97 golf. Don't know the mileage but it all looks ok. The guy I got it off seemed kosher so I can't imagine there would be any problems.

A direct swap sound good to me, what do you think.

OOps sorry just noticed you said you got one already... just got a bit exited .. do you want to sell your OBD1 engine that you have ?

sorry but i didnt actually buy the obd 1 engine i just found it and was wondering if it would be ok in mine. i used 2 online spare parts finders to find my engine:first choice spares and 247 spares. if you type in all your car details on their website they txt you quotes. give them a go i think i got a really good deal. sorry i couldnt be more help

• 2 weeks later...

hello again i have another question for you guys... was just wondering if my old engine was actually worth anything? the crank is chipped and it has 8 bent valves and my mechanic wants to know if i want my engine back or if he should get rid of it. i know i can salvage some things (plugs and leads etc...) but i dont know a great deal about engines so wondering if you guys could give me some advice

ive managed to find one from a 98 golf with 67000 miles on it for £400 so im quite happy really' date=' thought id have to pay nearly twice that for a good one!

[/quote']

I maybe wrong but I thought VW stopped manufacturing the mk3 VR in 1997 (last of the line were R reg '97)?

Hi mate

just out of interest how much did the chains and tensioners cost u, gonna do mine when i pull the lump out later in the year, although if my headgasket has gone mite being doin it sooner than planned

Where abouts in cornwall are you??