are your plug leads stiff and brittle? the most common cause for that symptom isnt a mega one its simply the ht leads breaking down and losing spark under load due to being worn and brittle or water ingress into the silicone and onto the core, try a new set of leads before you go mad on anything else, mine was doing that a little bit when hot under load and new leads cured it! i got quantum ones from vw for about £70 i think? same as OE type but black

Mine is also hesitating when you give a lot of throttle in 2nd gear could this also be down to leads. Seems that the plugs are nice and lean and the leads are those blue magnecor ones which i thought were supposed to be good.

You say cam sensor cleaning whats that about and how do you do it?

Thanks

Mark

i bought new leads just under a year ago they still seem quite supple i had all the plugs out and checked the leads but u never know with leads could be a weak or bad lead i did try spraying water all over the leads and coil pack didnt see any sparks.

by the way i caoted the entire plastic part of the coil pack in a silicone compound seems to do a really good job of insulating. but it could be damaged inside could it be my temp sender as its heat related. if i had the money i would by a new maf, temp sender, coil pack and leads.

is there a way to test leads with a multimeter.?

the price list is as followes from vw

coil pack £142 + vat

cam sensor 35.30

maf 64

knock sensor 82.24

leads are about 100 or so im sure all that would cure whatever the prob is but i would like to narrow it down a bit. enough of that

i will let you know when i sort it.

something i didnt notice before just fitted a new air filter an checked the oil and happend to notice mayo on the oil filler cap and in the breather pipe from the rocker cover the small pipe coming off the induction pipe near the t/b. also checked the water and it was quite bubbly couldent see any oil though could this mean head gasket on its way out or something more serious, bearing in mind it was off the road for a couple of months and being started once a week or so.

just had another look at the coil pack tonight with the cover off after spraying with water i noticed verry verry slight sparks could it be enough to cause the problems im having. it needed a really good soaking before i got any sparks. anyway im hoping to get the diag test tomorrow see if that reveals anything.

just had another look at the coil pack tonight with the cover off after spraying with water i noticed verry verry slight sparks could it be enough to cause the problems im having. it needed a really good soaking before i got any sparks. anyway im hoping to get the diag test tomorrow see if that reveals anything.

When my coil pack went, I had zero fault codes on VAGCOM

right i have replaced the coil pack with a brand new one had the diag check done which brought up maf and temp sender prob because i unplugged both while it was running after clearing the codes none came up again so it was all clear.

i tried unplugging the blue temp sender tonight due to the car only running rough when its warm but it still seems to have a problem. if i hold the revs just under 3k i can feel the engine isnt running smooth its like i can feel vibration and not only at that rpm seems to go on and off at different rpm,s.

what are the symptoms of a faulty cam sensor? or temp sensor?

im just trying to rule things out at the moment.

thx so far for the help

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...