Hi,

Have recently purchased a 1994 VR6 Passat with 98K on it and FSH, and there appears to be a small engine oil leak as i noticed it on the garage floor. Now i think its engine oil as over the last 300 miles it has gone down ever so slightly. It is dripping off the plate between engine and gearbox.

Can you tell me what are the normal oil leak points as i cant easily get under the car.

Also the steering seems to judder at standstill if you move the wheel, fluid level is normal. It happens if you move the steering wheel ever so slightly any ideas??

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the reponses,

Had a squeeze under the car and a quick look and the oil appears to be comming from higher up above the oil filter sort of location and simply dripping down so do you reckon its still the crankshaft oil seal?? Clutch at present feels spot and it dosent look like its a new leak, looks to have been like this for a while.

Thanks again Mark

Well have just done an oil change and on refilling it is coming from the oil cooler as i cleaned it all up and ran the engine and you can watch it come from the bottom section above what i am imagining is the oil level switch which is beside this. Do you just have to undo the 24mm socket at the end of the oil cooler for it to come off?? is there an O'ring here thats likly to have gone??

Just a bummer that i have just done the oil change as well!!

Thanks

Mark

Well have just done an oil change and on refilling it is coming from the oil cooler as i cleaned it all up and ran the engine and you can watch it come from the bottom section above what i am imagining is the oil level switch which is beside this. Do you just have to undo the 24mm socket at the end of the oil cooler for it to come off??

Yes, it's just one 24mm bolt that holds the cooler to the engine. There are 2 rubber seals - one inside the cap that forms part of the retaining bolt, and another between the oil cooler and the engine.