Hi there,

I'm planning to buy a VR6 very soon (fingers crossed and all that), is there a buyers guide about here anywhere? If not any tips or things to look out for when viewing a car.

Thanks,

Tom

the biggest thing to be aware of is that the timing chinas (or more specifically, the timing china tensioners, but you may as well change the chains whilst there) need changing between 100k-120k, and this process requires the gearbox to be removed. so its pricey. vw say its not a service item (they laos say it doesn't ever need doing, but thats not true) so just cause a car has fsh doesn't mean its been done. if its not there in black and white it ain't been done.

other stuff to check is...

-every electric item in the cabin

-abs

-suspensions and/or bushes

Also check for rust as some of these cars are getting on a bit now. :-(

For instance on the tailgate by the screen, on the door sills under the door rubbers and any rust caused by poorly fitted replacement front windscreens.

Most of all just take it nice and slow and don't get carried away in the excitement. That might sound a bit silly, but remember it when you look at your first car.

Happy hunting.

[blockquote]Most of all just take it nice and slow and don't get carried away in the excitement. That might sound a bit silly, but remember it when you look at your first car.[/blockquote]

Good advice - look at a few, take your time - fools rush in. Like me :(

ah well :@

Needs some work that eh' date=' does it run?[/quote']

Does it run??? :)

sure it does, its just about to get another years MOT (keep em crossed) then it'll officially be up for sale. Solid as a rock, well almost, it's had a bit of welding underneath about a year ago but what do you expect for nearly 40 years old.

It's got a 1500CC engine which is suprisingly fast.

Tom

Seriously Tommo' date=' what sort of money are you looking for it?[/quote']

Not exactly sure at the moment, probably somewhere around the 3 grand mark, I'm hoping to get a valuation shortly.

Tom