Fitting a steering wheel in a mk 3 vr6 with a airbag

just bought a momo steering wheel and want to fit it in my vr6 !

however i really dont want to set the airbag of and break my nose lol

anyone got any advice on how to remove factory fitted wheels and change it over

oh yeh any one sellin a momo hub for a vr6 please email me

baz8328@ntlworld.com

• 2 weeks later...

right....first ring awesome and get the resistor for your airbag, its a tenner if that, as said turn ignition off, set wheels straight prior to this though! unbolt 2 6mm allen keys form airbag from behind steering wheel, lift off and unbolt centre nut on wheel, undo the 2 hidden screws in the lower steering cowl, undo the airbag ribbon, its a small yellow connector on the end of the ribbon part of the airbag just under the steering columb, fit the resistor which is a simple push fit and only goes one way so you cant get it wrong, tuck this back under the columb, the resistor just makes the vehicle still think its attached so your original airbag and the light functions as normal, tuck the ribbon down into the cowling hood out of the way carefully, place airbag outside the car nowhere near anything electrical!!! refit your stering under cowl,

fit on your new hub and any needed horn ring stuff in correct position, be carefull not to force it you can damage the indicator cancel parts!! (experience!) offer the wheel up and attatch the horn wire to the horn push and assemble it roughly, fit the horn push wire and test the horns operation with the ignition swithched on REMEMBER DO NOT TURN IGNITION ON UNTILL THE RESISTOR IS FITTED THOUGH! or you will have to have the airbag coded out at vw or your light will remain on permanantly, if horn works yippeee, fit all the bolts on the centre of the horn push that hold the wheel to the hub, then test drive to see if its aligned properly!!! if not some minor adjustments sort it easily, hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You dont need to get a resistor or anything like that ive just changed mine, just disconnect the battery, take out the 2 small bolts out either side of the back of the steering wheel, then undo the big nut in the middle of the wheel and take the whole thing off. then simply line up the new one and put the big nut back on. connect the battery and turn ignition on and check horn, indictors and that indicators cancel... job done!!!

You dont need to get a resistor or anything like that ive just changed mine' date=' just disconnect the battery, take out the 2 small bolts out either side of the back of the steering wheel, then undo the big nut in the middle of the wheel and take the whole thing off. then simply line up the new one and put the big nut back on. connect the battery and turn ignition on and check horn, indictors and that indicators cancel... job done!!!

[/quote']

if u dont fitt a resisor u will put ur airbag light on and will not be able to put it out ... and i think u will also fail mot if ur airbag light is on ...???

if u dont fitt a resisor u will put ur airbag light on and will not be able to put it out ... and i think u will also fail mot if ur airbag light is on ...???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes technically it is a failure, but a friendly m.o.t guy might not be too fussed!!, also you can fit the resistor later and reset usng VagCom. So you'lle be fine as long as you get roud to doing that before your'e next m.o.t.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...