Boring, sorry

would totally depend A, the condition of the engine you used, B, the type of parts and C, who does it!!! i doubt with decent parts and a remap there would be a lot in it tbh, obd2 is probably a slightly better spec to start with but only a few bits are different if your talking that sort of dosh its gonna be a monster whatever!

With a budget of £6k, I take it we're talking about forced induction.

When my VR was in at Stealth back in September, I discussed the OBD1/OBD2 thing at length with Vince.

OBD2 uses a faster microprocessor in the ECU, which means it can respond faster to changing readings from the various sensors (The MAF, Throttle position & Lambda being the most significant ones). Fuelling is therefore more precise under rapidly changing engine conditions.

OBD2 also has independent fuelling maps for the front and rear banks of cylinders. OBD1 has one map for all 6. There is a reason why independent maps are advantageous, but it would take too long to explain here. It boils down to more precise fuelling again, basically.

OBD2 has a better idle control system (it uses a stepper motor attached to the throttle rather than an ISV), which means less fuel has to be thrown in to get the engine to idle properly. This is why forced-induction OBD2s always return better mpg than OBD1s with the same mods.

The biggest advantage with OBD2 ECU, however, is that it is more "tuner friendly", i.e. feeds back more information to the tuner while the remap is being done. This enables the tuner to do a more thorough job on the remap and eliminate more flat spots etc.

If going for a big-power VR, I would definitely recommend starting with an OBD2 engine. Although it may not necessarily make more power than an OBD1, it should run smoother and will definitely use less fuel.

Don't be put off tuning an OBD1 lump if you already have one, though. There are plenty of cars in the US running reliable 350BHP+ turbo installs on '92 dizzy-type engines.

And if you fit aftermarket engine management, the OBD1/2 thing doesn't matter anyway, since the engine itself is exactly the same.

If i was to spend say' date=' 6k on engine and performance improvement only, on an OBD1 and an OBD2 mk3, would the OBD2 respond to the upgrades more efficiently and therefore out perform the OBD1, as regards torque and power output, theoretically??

[/quote']

Basically would the OBD2 make more power than the OBD1?

I'd say no... I think it depends more on the condition of the engine to start with (ask dubloke or minty, OAKY was an OBD1 ;))

OBD2 might be easy to tune but I bet if you took a pepsi challenge actually driving the 2 cars you wouldnt be able to tell (except drivng with a blindfold on might be dangerous!)

So if the ecu was replaced on an OBD1 with an enhanced version, the fueling issues and response to upgrades would be obsolete??

I'm trying to decide whether to modify the OBD1 engine in my 94 model, or just buy an OBD2 lump and stick it on a stand at work and spend all my money on that one instead of wasting my time on the OBD1.

I am dreaming of huge power increases, as i can keep the cost down by doing most of the work myself.

Thanks for your help

its got nothing to do with changing the engine all the same if u want to go from obd1 to 2 u need full obd2 loom,engine harness,inlet manifold,throttle body,induction pipe,blackbox and readercoil with imobilser key change that and u have obd2 for £250-300 from scrappy nightmare to change but then u have extra 15bhp aswell done it on mine as its also stage 5 charged and much better to tune up aswell

I could do all that work myself, but it sounds like it wouldn't be plug and play and i would need some help getting it to run right and recoding etc..therefore extra cost. i'm sure i could pick a lump up for 750 ish with high mileage. So which would work out cheaper??