check out new R36 and more!!

I read recently that the vw boss said the R36 engine will only be used in the Passat but not in the golf after all. Pity!

Why can't they make the R32 have the front end of that RGTI?? I far prefer the front of the golf gti than the r32 which has far more chrome/silver which looks aweful - whereas the back of the R32 is perfect... I think they got the two cars' front ends mixed up lol.

The 3.6 litre VR6 isn't just a bored & stroked 3.2 . It's actually a totally new engine with a 10.6 degree vee (as opposed to the 15 degree vee on all previous VR6 engines). As a result, it is a fair bit taller then the 3.2 (Someone on VWVortex has taken measurements to see if it would fit a mk2 shell and it doesn't :( ). In Europe the 3.6 is available in the Toureg right now and should be available in the Passat fairly soon.

VW did try fitting the 3.6 in the Golf mk5, but it was just too big. There wasn't enough space left behind the engine for the (similarly huge) DSG transmission.

Instead, (so rumour has it) VAG are looking at turbo-ing the 3.2 for the Audi RS3 and the next generation Uber-Golf. Apparently they have discovered that VR6 + Forced induction is quite a potent combination.

We could have told them that!! LOL :D

By the way, the new Audi S3 is out. It runs a 265BHP 2.0T with 4wd and looks bloody lovely. I want one.

audi_s3_02_08_06.jpg

• 2 years later...