My Mk2 Project

Been on here a bit asking a few questions so i thought it about time i posted my project up

MY FIRST DUB and can not wait till it is done ....

how it started

bluek.jpg

Started with stripping the interior carpets etc.. and that horried matting which just soaks up water !!!. The next part was getting the doors off.

bluek-2.jpg

I removed all electics and the dash.

bluek-3.jpg

next was removing the engine and front panel.

bluek-4.jpg

bluek-5.jpg

i have cleaned up the engine bay trying to rid of any little bits of rust. thought i had got most of it but the photo seems to have showed more up.

bluek-6.jpg

I removed the wings and the subframe and dropped all the suspension , hubs and steering rack.

bluek-7.jpg

Got my vr6 doner car so ,next step is to swap bits over to test and make sure it all fits ...

kvr6.jpg

Started stripping the vr6 ready for the engine to come out. The exhaust manifold was a pig to get off.

vr6ready.jpg

the engine is out of the vr6 and the subframe dropped with the wheels so i have put it on the mk2 golf ready to test the engine.

bluek-8.jpg

took the drive shafts off the engine to make it easier to put it in and out. Got it ready for its first test.....

vr6engine.jpg

used a corrado vr6 crossmember

cut the rear mount down on the subframe sat the engine in the car and measured were the dent on the chasis leg needs to be.

bluek-10.jpg

here are some photos of the dent i had to make

bluek-11.jpg

and another

bluek-12.jpg

did a bit of painitng from this

bluek-13.jpg

to

bluek-14.jpg

and from this

bluek-15.jpg

to

bluek-16.jpg

gave the manifold a lick of paint

bluek-17.jpg

also got these

bluek-25.jpg

bluek-26.jpg

primered and painted the engine bay so i could get the engine in but had a problem with the paint .. so took it off which took ages ..

so the second time i preped the rest of the car as well

welded / filled the extra hole for the wipers also got rid of the holes down the side for the side trim ...

then Primered and PAINTED BLACK

bluek-27.jpg

bluek-27b.jpg

bluek-27c.jpg

bluek-27d.jpg

pic of the roof

bluek-28.jpg

side

bluek-29.jpg

out side in the sun

bluek-30.jpg

back

bluek-31.jpg

engine bay

bluek-32.jpg

started building the car up got the axels on ...

bluek-33.jpg

shot from the back stuck the lights in ....

bluek-34.jpg

got the engine in went in very slow as not to mark the paint work

bluek-36.jpg

got my wheels back from the powder coaters !!!!

bluek-37.jpg

bluek-38.jpg

cut out the corrado front panel so my mk3 golf vr6 rad can sit in better.

bluek-39.jpg

pic with the rad in place,

bluek-40.jpg

new dics on the back with braided lines + all new brake lines.

bluek-41.jpg

tried one of the wheels on still waiting for the adaptors but wanted to see what they would look like.

bluek-42.jpg

pic of the wheel from the side.

bluek-43.jpg

pic of the wheel from the back.

bluek-44.jpg

pic of the engine bay put back together and tried it and it runs...

bluek-45.jpg

been sorting out the exhaust i have put some obx headders on and i got a stainless 16v system mesured it up and there was about a metre of pipe that needed adding on , instead of doing just a straight bit of pipe i decided to add a bit of flexi in the middle so it would not damage the headders or the engine , this was a bit of a job cutting it up welding it up and then putting it together but got it done and after the 50th time of putting it on and off . got it all together last night and sounds NICE ....... tiny bit of back fire at the moment

bluek-46.jpg

Also pic of the dash

bluek-47.jpg

bought some koingsport coilovers for the car they were a bit rutsy on the threads but they still adjusted and the shocks were fine

bluek-48.jpg

covered the top of the shock and then shot blasted the base and the thread to get rid of all the rubbish then sprayed them with a Zinc galvanizing paint and copper slipped the threads.

bluek-49.jpg

stuck them on the car nearly hard a heart attack wheni put the first on on the front guessed the hight and lowered it off the jack and it just kept on coming down !!!!!

bluek-50.jpg

Just finishing the electrics

and preping the rest of the car for painting I can not wait !!!

about 3 months so far but a lot has been trial and error finding going through the good and bad info on the net word of mouth etc..

but i am working on the doors / wings bonnect etc.. at the moment getting rid of the trim holes arial rear wiper then it will be primered

the electrics are 99% done need to go through the vr loom and find the vag com connections (as they need this if i get it charged dont they ??) and get my clocks working thats it the rest is just donkey work ...

• 2 weeks later...

been a long time on the update front , this is due to welding filling and rubbing like an idiot , also having a really crap couple of weeks van cambelt going etc..

got rid of all the trim holes in the doors , wings

got rid of the arial hole , the washer jet and wiper on the boot ..

and preped every thing left for priming , bumpers , fuel cap cover etc...

also installed a temp airfilter ....

bluek-51.jpg

and this is the reason it is temp , now were did that come from i wonder

bluek-52.jpg

one of the doors in primer

bluek-53.jpg

and the bonnet not to sure on the look but it is fibre glass and i can pick it up with my little finger COOOL

bluek-54.jpg

and my new daily drive since the Van died... loving it .....

scirocco.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...