My VR6 - engine swap and A/C fitting, in progress! Lot's of pics.

The water in the oil is coolent. We can't tell the extent of the damage without taking the head of the old engine, but valves 5 and 6 are bent, there was a load of metal swarf in the inlet manifold, and we've spent ages cleaning out the inlet tract as it was covered in oil. The CAT was also covered in oil, it's spent a while burning that out too. Just hope it gets through an emmissions test, we're worried it might need a new CAT.

Basically the head gasget went, but we bought it in this state so we're not sure how it happened. All we can tell is that it went suddenly, as it came with a note with the owners phone number on it - saying the car had broken down and they were trying to get it moved!

Got a tank full of fuel too!

Really? I've always had rear wipers tested at the garage I got to!

Ooohh, as you're an MOT tester Chrisdut - can you give me your opinion on whether my CAT would fail? It looks like it was soaked in oil when the old engine went kaput - it seems to have burnt it all off now, but would it have damaged the CAT?

not sure mate, the only answer is the emissions result, it could be ok but as i said you'll only really know with the emissions test, im guess you mean it soaked the inside of the cat as it makes no difference if its on the outside

I fitted koni coilovers to mine and i love them but only ever heard good things about the H&R stuff

let us know how your mot went

Well I've not been on because i've been driving it!!

It passed, and i've taxed it too - well chuffed. About to order new suspension and have got it booked in for a stainless exhaust next week too!

The emmissions were fine, the tester said they were very good once it had been warmed up - so no worries there!

Just got to get a headlining at the weekend from Volksmania, and it'll finally be complete again.

• 2 years later...