I had a bash a while ago, ended up towing it to a garage.

Problem was that I couldn't get access to the underside of the car as it was on the street.

From what I could see its held in by two or three bolts. I was told that the engine would also need to be supported as one of the bolts is somehow connected to the engine mount.

Give it a go. I reckon I could have done it, but just couldn;t get a jack under the car.

really easy job blondie. As Shail said, three bolts ( not heard of the engine needing to be supported!!), an earth strap, and thats it. Would be easier with a jack to lift the front of that car up a bit, but still do-able without.

Well I would think the auto and manual ones will be different, so there's 2.

Different variations of the same part maybe?? VW have been known to imporve parts over time. It doesnt mean the fittings are going to be different.

I know my quaife box came off an ODB1 car, and then starter motor out of my box was used, so the ODB1/ODB2 thing clearly doesnt apply.

Mine went on Saturday and am picking my "new" one up from GSF for £92 + £50 surplus charge. Gonna jack the car up, support the engine with an axle stand and hope thats the problem. Glad to hear mines not the only one knackered @ the moment!

It normally takes 2 attempts for GSF to get the right one take your club card and they'll give you 10% off.

I ain't been to the new place at Plympton yet' date=' need oil etc but haven't been home early enough to get out there. Why the fork did they move :@

[/quote']

I didnt know we get 10% off down there!!! Have you tried it before?