Anyone for 99 Ron?

I'm not sure if this has been covered recently but here goes.

In the past few days I have visited my local Esso petrol staion with Tesco Express attatched. I was chuffed to find that they now stock the 99 Ron Super Unleaded which was previuosly available at Tesco only petrol stations. I'm not sure if all Esso/Tesco Express' will be stocking it but its sure worth checking your local for some as the price of petrol has dropped recently. I paid 95.9 per litre and when you think that a few weeks ago we were paying nearly £1.00 per litre for normal unleaded.... ;) It also confirmed what I'd been thinking for some time, that Esso were merely testing the waters by only stocking Tesco filling stations with this stuff to see how it went. Hopefuly those of you without a Tesco nearby can benefit from some 99 RON.

P.S. I don't work for either company :)

Kevin

In my area, Shell have replaced Optimax 98RON with a new 99RON fuel called V-Power. Probably very similar to the Tesco stuff.

I'm no expert on fuels by any means, but I understand that V-Power and the like are just normal unleaded with an additive chucked in which boosts the effective octane rating. A moneyspinner for sure, but really good news for those of us running superchargers and turbos on stock engine internals.

i used 2 use optimax but now usin v power,started usin it wen i 1st got the vr & cant bring myself 2 put her bk on jo bloggs fuel,i like 2 treat her better than the average car,sad i know 8-| by the way i get v power 4 about 94p ltr which i finks quite cheap?

the difference in cost is all relative, yes we probably are all a bit sad, i also jump into my car, set the comp reading to engine temp and drive like a granny until 85-90, i color wax it, so if ure paying 3 or 4p extra per liter, its like £1:00 of so difference out of thirty pounds of fuel, so why didnt u buy a 1.4 cl?? performance cars in other parts of the world have been using 98 ron fuel for bloody ages, no point buting a big old 2.8, and then skimpering on £5:00 here and there methinks..

I discussed the subject of octane ratings with Vince @ Stealth last week while having my s/c remap done.

On a tuned VR engine that is mapped for higher octane fuel, using 97 (or 99) RON actually works out cheaper - the fuel costs more, but you use less of it.

This may be a controversial statement, but on an unmodified engine, I don't think there is any point in using 97/99 fuel, other than once in a while to get benefit from the cleaning additives.

I didn't think I'd get much response on this topic but thats what I like about VR6OC. :)

My car is N/A but I do get better mpg around town and on a run with 99RON compared to 95. Its definately more responsive and the engine idles a lot smoother . As some of you have stated the benefits of 99 over 97RON in a N/A car are probaly negligable but its the same price if not cheaper and I don't belive its doing any harm.

Kevin