How do i know if the chains and tensioners need doing?

The chains do streatch over time mate, so even if it is just the tensioners, chains need to be replaced too!

Kilokilla is yer man on here to tell ya, but i see ya no where near stoke!

Maybee P.M jays 2.9VR, as he is from plymouth and altho he lives up our end, has all his engine work done down your way!

Failing that, try VW!

Only other thing i can say, is that, chains can go at 60k or still not be screwed at 130+!!

If and when you need a new clutch renew all timing gear for definite ;-) you may not get another chance

Noise is an obvious sign as stated, if your guides are going u could find bits of plastic in your sump / oil pump strainer (removal of sump required) or on top of the head (removal of rocker cover) and all inlet manifold stuffs.

I haven't had a lot of luck with garages in Plymouth which is why i now do everything myself ;-)

If and when you need a new clutch renew all timing gear for definite ;-) you may not get another chance

Noise is an obvious sign as stated' date=' if your guides are going u could find bits of plastic in your sump / oil pump strainer (removal of sump required) or on top of the head (removal of rocker cover) and all inlet manifold stuffs.

I haven't had a lot of luck with garages in Plymouth which is why i now do everything myself ;-)

[/quote']

I may need to call on your services soon then! ;)

Noise is an obvious sign as stated' date=' if your guides are going u could find bits of plastic in your sump / oil pump strainer (removal of sump required) or on top of the head (removal of rocker cover) and all inlet manifold stuffs.

[/quote']

I may need to call on your services soon then! ;)

likewise! ;):P

I have a m8 in the NE area who has set up his own mobile mechanic. he's VW trained. If you are struggling to find a decent guy to do it I can let you have his details. I must be honest I'm not too sure how far he travels from his base (Saltburn) or how his rates are. But he's gonna do mine in the next month or so (when I have the money together and get the weekend off to pop back)

Let me know and I post the details. No pressure (h) !

Should you want them, Am I allowed to post direct on the forum??? or does it have to be PM *-)

Cheers

We did the guides/tensioners/chains on mine at the weekend, when the engine was in the Passat donor it was very quiet. However, the upper guide had a mounting point broken (eeek!!) and was worn through to the rivets.

Pleased I didn't chance it and fit it as it was!