Just read a thread on a chip for the VR.

How much are they and where would one go to get it done?

I've heard the name Stealth mentioned a few times.

Has anyone had any problems with chipping the car? Surely if your reconfigurating the engine system there will be some kind of downside??

Sorry i'm not that technical. I just like to drive.

The main downside of a chip is the effect on your wallet, stealth are highly rated by most guys on here and would be able to supply and fit one for you. Its best if you get a reprogrammable one so you can get it remapped easily every time you do a mod. One thing i would suggest is that you use better quality fuel once its done, either bp ultima , esso super (both 97 ron) or shell optimax(98 ron) , a car from the factory with the normal chip is set to run on crap fuel like in America (93 ron)as its different quality all over the world, if you get it chipped then you really should use better quality fuel. I got mine done at well lane turbo centre in leeds for £250, thats pretty much the going rate for one.

[ Edited Wed Jun 16 2004, 09:48AM ]

btw, the vr6 was designed to run on higer 97 ron, not 93/95 as you said gaz. says on the inside of the filler lid. oh, and the other downside is a little bit more fuel consumption, cos the car will be quicker and you will drive it faster, lol. other than that it will actually make your car run smoother so not many downsides other than cost.

Kobi, theres not really a downside... the standard ecu settings are a compromise between fuel economy, emissions and power... all a remap or replacement chip does is to tweek these settings to produce more power. AmD or Stealth are 2 good places but expect to pay more like £400 +vat