Not starting, not battery!

Hi,

Went to start my VR this morning but nothing. :@ All ignition lights etc light up but i turn the key there is nothing. The engine doesn't even try to turn over.

I have changed the battery to no avail! Over the last couple of days the car hasn't started as it usually does, only very slightly different so i thought it might be the battery.

Could it be the starter motor? I have no knowledge of engine stuff at all, i'm afraid.

Cheers for any help guys :)

could be an immobiliser or ignition switch fault? check earth wires on the starter and in the engine bay, we have had a lot of rain lately!! have you had anything done to the car recently that has disturbed anything? i would get an auto elctrician out to test it mate, its no good guessing it can be too expensive when the fault maybe just a few pennies.

Nothing has been changed recently at all on the car. It has Clifford Concept 500 alarm fitted but the immobiliser is working ok i think, Ie it cuts power after so many seconds after the alarm is diarmed, but when i put keys in ignition turn them then push button on the key fob it allows the power to light up the handbrake light etc on the dashboard.

I thought it might be the solenoid. Whereabouts is the starter motor? Any pics would be great if possible!

Cheers

It didn't do anything, left it then came back to it tried and it made a click noise on 2 tries then nothing again.

I tried rocking the car back and forth in 1st gear then tried to start it again and it made a click noise once, then nothing again.

I'll have another go and locating the solenoid and i'll give a couple of knocks. Anyone got a picture of what i'm looking for?

Cheers

I bought a new battery this morning and fitted it, but nothing different happened when i tried to start the car once i had fitted it.

I've put the old one back in because i want to take the new one back to get the refund.

Maybe i'll try the new one again quickly just to make sure!

Bang the starter motor with a hammer or other large metal implement, whilst your mate/mrs tries to start the car. I done my service a few weeks ago and flooded the engine bay with the hose. Done exactly the same on mine. Click Click and no turning over. Banged it once and hehe, life again, not done it since, must have flooded something! Could be a flat battery I guess, but if it was the lights in the dash would go out as you tried to start it as the motor would drain all the power. If the lights in the dash stay on bright it is definately not the battery.You cant miss the starter, it has got a huge wire going to it, its on the bottom of the engine at the r/h side. bout the size of a large pickle jar. There is nothing else on that side that looks similar.

Sound exactly like what shail said, I had this problem when I first got the car I tried starting it with it still in gear and the car just stalled obviously. Tried starting it again and nothing-happened just ignition lights coming on and not turning. Changed the starter and it was a goodun again.

Apparently the starter are quite a common fault according to the guy at ECP. Have you tried bump starting I know you shouldn't but it will eliminate all other possibilities if it starts

Well the roadside guy came out to see me just now, the battery was totally drained so he's put the new one on. But still nothing, tried rocking it, checked wires to starter motor but still nothing.

He's had to ring the garage because they can't get the car up on the flatbed as it's too low :$

Haven't tried to jumpstart it as haven't got enough space to try it!

Off to the garage in a minute.