i'm gettin a new 'box as my syncro's are dead, the tming chain tensioner blade needs changing (so 'box out) and may as well change the 'box at the same time.

i laos have a really 'slack' feeling gearstick. if i put it oin third i can puch it another inch towards the dash, and all the rest are pretty similar. is this likely to be the 'box or is it the linkage? if its the linkage what bits should be changed so i have 'like-new' shift?

Don't know if this will be any help, but just before my RS1800 festa got written off I had the gear linkage sorted on that, honestly mate, I could not believe the difference it made to the car. It felt like new, crisp and clean gear changes and also seemed to add a bit of power, i'd always thought the festa was down on power but doing the gear linkage seemed to breath a new lease of life into it, unfortunaely it got written off a week later ~:(

Change the selector bushings and associated components. That's where the slack is coming from. A rebush of the cables at the box end will help too. The 02A cable arrangement gets bad press but when it's sorted, it's among the best change there is. My Corrado change is slick, tight and very light. I can swap cogs with my little finger!

If you go for a box rebuild. Get Vince to do it. He is the absolute best there is with box rebuilds.