new to the vr6 game! best ways of increasing bhp?

just cant see a 2.8 v6 only been able to put out 174bhp?

might sound like a right gimp but are there any sort of restrictors etc that can be sorted out?

also what are the best and most effictive ways of increasing bhp without adding turbos/superchargers etc?

thanks

H3

Most important is weight reduction. Doesn't increase your HP but makes a hell of a difference.

Here's some more stuff.

Exhaust

High flow cat

DP

Chip

Cams

P&P

MK4 Head Gasket

Cylinder capacity increase

Short runner intake

Smoothed throttle body

Intake (BMC CDA)

Lightweight adjustable pulley

Lightened flywheel

Gasket matched exhaust manifold

Gasket matched intake manifold

Powergasket plus intake gasket

uprated engine mounts

etc etc etc etc etc.

Baz

sound sound, i knew the suspension was gonna need sorting, i just was not sure about what filter to look for etc, and from past experiance with other cars i know i gotta sort the breathing out on it

thanks for all you input, much appreciated!

any more info would also be great :D

thanks again

h3

When the VR6 was released Germany had a 'fast car' tax, which came into effect at 175BHP.

I picked up an autojumble Corrado airbox which looks pretty much the same as the Golf one I had. Except it's now missing the cone and looks like a collander ;-)

Like The_One said go for a K&N panel, better breathing but standard looks. Get one from Ebay then when/if you go for full induction sell it on again and you won't be out of pocket.

TG

if you actually open a BMC CDA you see the actual filter isn't that big unlike e.g. a ramair. My BMC CDA will be up for sale soon :(

So what's the going rate for a second hand BMC as I'm looking into maybe getting one. Or do you suggest something a little different.

Baz

P.S. I'm looking into venting air through the wing or the very bottom front corner of the bumper.

I'll maybe go for a Turbo sometime in the future so I need a decent intake for now. Don't see too many dynos testing just intakes on a stock engine. Might be a good project to try for a few lads to get together on a dyno day and do a bit of testing. Does the BMC really give the best results and does anyone have proof of gains?

Baz