Forged Pistons

Right I have my block out and have taken out the Pistons to be checked and it seems they aren't in the best of conditions and I am getting the block honed , decked , crank polished , new big ends and would like to replace the Pistons.

But to get new standard Pistons is either the same or more expensive than some of the forged Pistons out there ... Would using forged Pistons on standard rods be okay or would I need forged rods too? Any advice would be appreciated thanks guys

Going boosted and yeah ive been on tsr recently and thinking of getting the wossner low comp pistons from there for £780 if im not mistaken , what rods would you recommend ? and one more question, I want my block honed, decked, crank balanced and polished with new bearings but I cant find a machine shop near me that wants to go near the vr block :/

Edited by JakeP

Ah I see, Im looking to stay at 81mm bore , seeing as i live in wales, It will probably have to be sent over to england, are there any known machinists in england that would carry out work on a vr6 block that you know of? 

If you want Wossner and PEC stuff, try VRT. (VRTonline.co.uk) They are the cheapest I've found in the UK for this stuff.

Mention me and you might even get a further discount!

One thing I would recommend is speaking to the machine shop BEFORE you have any work done on the block, or buy the pistons! They can advise then on what size pistons would be best for your block once machined, can be a costly mistake if the block ends up being too big for your pistons once you've had it sorted!

Simon.

Well I've had them do 2 VR blocks and also the heads for me, and one for a very good friend. They strengthened the crank (Plasma Nitride) and other bits for me too as well as completely assembling the crank/rod and pistons on my Low Comp engine whilst it was in there, so they are well versed in the VR6!

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Do a bit of research for your application too.... these fallacies you hear about "cast pistons rattle less than forged" is nonsense so make sure you choose wisely. Many aftermarket one's will be 4032 alloy but some will be 2618 which give more rattle due to thermal expansion/physical properties differences, in fact I've read some reports that show although 4032 is somewhat less tough and has less overall thermal resilience it handle's the sustained thermal stresses akin to engine cycle loads better than 2618. 

I would prefer any bore n hones to be well versed in these things in terms of size, gas blow by, heat/cooling cycles etc

In short, as an engine build centres on micro-mm variables then I would like a builder to know these things because i'm a PITA and I'll pass that on to my oc homies!

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/pistons/tech5-trey-mcfarland-of-mahle-motorsports-reveals-piston-secrets/

Edited by RBPE