I ain't done it yet but I believe its pretty simple,

Fronts, remove wheel and undo the 2 bolts which hold the damper to the pivot hub, unclip brake hose. Remove cap in engine bay, remove nut using an allen key to hold strut in position, remove all washers and rubbers from engine bay and remove suspension from car. refit all rubbers to coilover and put back in car, refit two bolts at swivel hub, using new nuts, refit rubbers and washers in engine bay and refit nut. Refit wheel.

Rears is pretty much the same, only there is inly one bolt at the base of the strut. refit all washers and rubbers in the same order they came off.

Just remember to do up to correct torque.

Not too bad really, Ben W has just done it so he will be able confirm if this is a good guide or not.

If you want I can scan in the pages from the golf haynes manual and email them to you, its not for the VR6 but it is not that much different, I also have the VW pages showing the exploded assemblies and mark on them which rubbers you will need to replace.

[ Edited Sun Jun 06 2004, 11:02PM ]

if your using your original top plates and mounts you are gonna need spring clamps to remove from old shockers only the fronts the backs can be removed without clamps BUT BEWARE if you try and remove fronts top plates and mounts without spring clamps you are very likely to cause yourself a big injury .

No worries mate, I was suprised and well happy when I realised I wasn't gonna need to use the spring clamps.

They only cost about 30 squids tho so I'm gonna get some anyway cos I got an RS1800 festa to take apart :)

If you want I can scan in the pages from the golf haynes manual and email them to you' date=' its not for the VR6 but it is not that much different, I also have the VW pages showing the exploded assemblies and mark on them which rubbers you will need to replace.

[/quote']

That would be blinding! My email is geastb@yahoo.com

I take it i don't need to get a spring compressor then?

Cheers Pittuf - got your info (filled up my mailbox !amazed but not to worry!) I'll get it all printed out ready for the install!! &|

Thanks binliner too - really helpful info also! :)

What a brilliant site this is!!!! !heart