HELP NEEDED (COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS)

awrite guys, just had a comression test done on the vr as recomended by a couple of people on here,

heres the results

cylinder 1 - 9

cylinder 2 - 9

cylinder 3 - 8

cylinder 4 - 8

cylinder 5 - 10

cylinder 6 - 5.5

what do you recon this could mean? a valve possibly or the dreaded piston rings or a piston? head gasket?

the car is for sale and i want it to be spot on for the next owner to enjoy

any help greatly received

cheers

martin

Well piston 6 is low, could be several things, rings, headgasket or valve/s. Was the test carried out with the engine warm? Further diagnostics, ie squirting oil into cylinder 6 and seeing if the test results improve would isolate the problem.

hi andy, yeah the car was warm when it was tested mate, it has been using a bit of coolant lately but its been letting out a little puff of smoke when you accellerate hard when you have been coasting in gear but also sometimes if youve been idling for a while. any ideas

what would the wet test help isolate?

If its using a lot of coolant and you def have no obvious leaks that could indicate the head gasket. What colour smoke was it? How much was it to get a garage to do your compression test? And have you noticed any power loss at all? What made you get a compression test by the way?

Hi math76, i got it compression tested cos it was letting out a little smoke when accellerating off overrun, a guy i know tested it for nothing for me, theres no signs of any obvious leaks but it is using a bit of coolant and a little oil, havent noticed any loss in power tho, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

bit of an update guys,

got a wet test done but the compression didnt really go up, it did but only a little bit, got the head stripped off and the pistons look fine so im thinking it was defo the head gasket as in the last week it has used a fair bit of coolant, the temp gauge was also sitting at just over the halfway mark, it didnt go up any further than that( sat at maybe 92 degress rather than the usual 90 degrees) bought a full head kit from vw and new valves and stem seals, at the moment the head is away getting skimmed just in case. is there any thing else i should be doing before i put it back together?

Oh for gods sake it was a joke.

What is wrong with some of you???

it couldve been taken either way whats wrong with 2.9-3l rebore + longer throw crank ;)

Well, everything consider i suggested a complete engine rebuild when all he has to do is whip the head off.

awrite guys jusrt a bit more of an update,

got the head put back on after replacing the rings, and re-building the head completely, all back together nicely , new plugs ect, started it up and it runs sweet as a nut, no nasty noises , no smoke, no smell from running rich,

took it out for a bit of a run, let it warm up nicely and all is well, let it go for a bit on overrun accelerated and still no smoke, it would seem that all is well again, i didnt give it big licks or anything siilly cos i will let it run in first but it definately feels a lot sharper and more responsive!

cheers for all your help guys, i really appreciate it,

martin