Hi all, I've just discovered a couple of little problems on my vr (I hope they're little problems &| )

Firstly I've just been out for a run & when i stopped at some lights the engine tried to stall with the clutch fully depressed, then when i tried to set off the engine just died. I had my foot to the floor & it was just idling, i managed to nurse it home where i removed the ind kit & it started ok but still idled really lumpy. I replaced the ind kit & it seems to be ok at the mo. Anybody come acroos this problem before?

Secondly, the car's been losing water recently i think it's the return pipe that runs along the top of the engine as it's got a buble in it. when i removed the ind kit for the above problem i noticed water streaming from the back of the engine bay, is this where the air-con is situated? as it's the 1st time i've switched the air-con on in a couple of months.

Sorry for the long thread & any help wound be much appreciated.

Cheers Jamie

aircon pump is on front ov engine and the rad for air con is in front ov normal rad the pipes run along front ov engine to rad and then back along passenger side ov engine to bulkhead but i believe aircon runs on gas not water although i wont swear to that you could find you have popped or a hole in a core plug or it could be a split hose cos there are several ov both on the back ov engine.but it might also be head gasket mate .as for your running problem i had a similar problem when an inlet hose came loose on my airflow from meter to throttle body hope this helps a bit.

did you have the A/C on when it tried to stall?

the reason i ask is that the engine peed is sposed to increase to compensate. maybee it didn`t, and so engine tried to stall.

What ind. kit you got? what year of car? As the air mass meter dont like oiled filters.... ie induction kits, and it may need cleaning.. I had to replace an air mass meter due to a piper X filter £200!!!

Secondly' date=' the car's been losing water recently i think it's the return pipe that runs along the top of the engine as it's got a buble in it. when i removed the ind kit for the above problem i noticed water streaming from the back of the engine bay, is this where the air-con is situated? as it's the 1st time i've switched the air-con on in a couple of months.

[/quote']

theres a few pipes round the back, can you post a pic of which ones leaking if you have a digi cam?

if its the one that goes from the throttle body and goes to the top of the coolant tank and then onto loads of other places its mega expensive (vw only part - £60!)

theres a few pipes round the back, can you post a pic of which ones leaking if you have a digi cam?

if its the one that goes from the throttle body and goes to the top of the coolant tank and then onto loads of other places its mega expensive (vw only part - £60!)

Got it in one! it's the one that splits off to all sorts of places, thought it would be a vw only part :@ I think i'm gonna cut the offending piece out & replace it with some hard plastic pipe. Would this be ok?

It is a ram-air kit & i'd just cleaned it, didn't oil it though but i noticed there was a lot of oil on it & on the inner arch below it.

My car is a 96, 3dr & mildly modded.

Cheers :D

did you have the A/C on when it tried to stall?

the reason i ask is that the engine peed is sposed to increase to compensate. maybee it didn`t' date=' and so engine tried to stall.

What ind. kit you got? what year of car? As the air mass meter dont like oiled filters.... ie induction kits, and it may need cleaning.. I had to replace an air mass meter due to a piper X filter £200!!![/quote']

I did have the air-con on, it'd been switched on all day wit no problems at all.

Got it in one! it's the one that splits off to all sorts of places' date=' thought it would be a vw only part :@ I think i'm gonna cut the offending piece out & replace it with some hard plastic pipe. Would this be ok?

It is a ram-air kit & i'd just cleaned it, didn't oil it though but i noticed there was a lot of oil on it & on the inner arch below it.

My car is a 96, 3dr & mildly modded.

Cheers :D [/quote']

yes it is a dealer only part...here's your options...

fix it as you've described, i tried this and it still leaked.

try and get a second hand one of someone who bought samco's on the group buy (as i did), or find one at a scrappy.

and here's the best tip yet...ford galaxy v6's are actually vr6's, and AFAIK they use the same coolant hoses. ford parts are a lot cheaper than vw, so you could get one from there (same for most engine parts). i also know of a galaxy v6 at a scrappy in high wycombe.

I've just found another leak under the front right handside of the engine bay. I'm thinking it's the radiator, am i correct? & is this a major job to change? May have to invest in some samco's depending on how many pipes are leaking. Found 2 so far so there could be more. How long/hard is it to fit a complete set of samco hoses?

Cheers.