Engine Rebuild - Suggestions For Mods/Improvements?

Hello Forum, been away for a while, finally got my Electrical And Electronic Eng Degree! Now its time to sort out my vento!

Anyway, im having then engine rebuilt at the moment, by my brother. Ive got a new cylinder head that had done about 75k miles, and im repairing my original block.

Im having the head skimmed, and ive bought some new piston rings (£220) from a local eng firm. The Blocks getting a lite rebore so it can still house the 2.8 pistons. Ideally i would like to get a full rebore to 2.9 or 3.0, but funds are pretty dry at the minute!

Ideally i would like to strap a supercharger to it but im skint! So i cant really do anything like that! Im thinking of engine mods/suggestions that will improve the overall running of the engine!

While im having all this work done just wondering if theres anything else that i could do to it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Also is there any problems etc to look out for when doing an engine rebuild? Any help/sugesstions will be much apreciated!

(By the ways its a standard 1992 Vento VR6 - OBD1 Engine 174 bhp. Ive got a catback exhaust, and thats about it. Im not a big fan of induction kits because i like the low end torque of the car, and personally i think they f*$k the overall running of the car!)

Originally the head gasket went on the engine, aswell as the crank bearings.

On taking the block off, the piston rings where knackered, which has sort of scored the internals(nothing major).

While the blocks off, id rather spend the money on it, so ill know its right, rather than buy a 2nd hand engine and have the same problem!

A 2.9 rebore will be the same as boring a 2.8 fella. The only extra cost will be the pistons. You could go forged (don't lower the compression unless you're gonna go megga boost) or get some 2.9 raddo pisons.

But it looks as if you've bought rings already. There isn't much you can do to bottom end internals without spending i'm afraid. I went forged 2.9 and all new barings. As I said, only a couple hundred quid more because of the pistons.

unfortunately i cant afford forged pistons, firstly im skint and living in my overdraft and secondly my G40 Polo costs a fortune to run!

Hopefully when the vento's back on the road i can rid of the G40, and spend it on the VR6!

I agree with jays - if you're planning to have the block rebored anyway, see if you can stretch to a set of new 2.9 or 3.0 pistons and go for the capacity increase.

Then get your crank and flywheel lightened and balanced, get your conrods balanced, then get the rev limiter raised.

This lot will give you a decent hike in power and torque and set you up perfectly for supercharging later on!!

Forged pistons only cost me £100 more than standard ones fella. Lightened and balanced crank (knife edged maybe?) with rods will be a considerable amount more but you will be surprised how much little extra a 2.9 rebore with forged (or not) pistons will cost you.