Banging noise under throttle and braking

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but under throttle i get a bang under the car, and when i brake it does the same. can some one point me in the dirtection of things to look at :)

i was thinking along the lines of engine mount or similar but am new to Mk3's and was wondering if there was any common faults.

Ratty

I had this problem and it turned out to be an engine mount. Or was it a gearbox mount.....It was down that side anyway. :-)

It had completely gone and the whole engine was twisting and nearly touching the bonnet !

If you grab the engine and try and tilt it from all angles against the mounts and see if you have movement.

If the noise is pretty loud and noticeable then there should be signifacant movement on the mounts.

Other than that maybe Ball joints? But you say only when accelerating and braking so perhaps not.....

Mark.

yeh i can move the engine a bit, had the same sorta thing in my golf when i did the front mount but that made the noise when i put foot down and lifted off. cars going into mainstealer tommorow so i guess they will give me an idea of what it is.

Ratty

well, new engine and gerabox mounts fitted! and its still doing it :( so onto the wishbone bushes i guess! the banging happens only once on acceleration so say you launch in first it will bang but will make no noise through all the other gears until you hit the brakes and then it bangs. :(

• 1 year later...

Hi there, just wondered if you ever got to the bottom of this problem, as mine is doing exactly the same thing! A really loud clunk when accelerating hard, then again when braking.... only does it once each time.

Had it in a garage on a ramp yesterday and couldn't see any play anywhere..