Help smoking when changing down!!!!!!!!!

Hi All

I have a small problem with my VR. When using the gears to slow down, it is smoking when getting to second gear. Then when putting your foot down it smokes, but by the time you change back into third it stops! I have just put a second hand sebring exhaust on and it seems to smoke after the exhaust burbells, could it be smoking due to the back pressure of the exhaust or could it be something more. If I don’t use the gears to slow down and just change later there is no smoking. There is no smoke on start up and doesn’t smoke when putting your foot down, so what could it be.

Thanks

John

I get a similar thing happen to mine, don't know what sort of area you live in, but I have a fair few steep hills to contend with. When coasting down in 2nd or 3rd gear using engine braking only, I get a cloud of Blue/white smoke when I get back on the throttle, but it is only for a second or two, then clears. It doesn't smoke the rest of the time!! Valve stem oils seals have been done, suggested it could be a breather hose blocked? I also have a Sebring exhaust!!! *-)

My old mk2 VR6 used to to that, the drive to work ended with a dowhill for about a mile, and at the end, when you accerelated, there would be a bluey/white combo. Frightened the life out me, but it never smoked at any other time, so i didn't worry about it after that!

My old mk2 VR6 used to to that' date=' the drive to work ended with a dowhill for about a mile, and at the end, when you accerelated, there would be a bluey/white combo. Frightened the life out me, but it never smoked at any other time, so i didn't worry about it after that!

[/quote']

From my understanding that is caused by valve stem seals on their way out. Coasting in gear downhill causes pressure to build up, then when you nail it some oil is sucked past the seals. Apparently nowt to worry about unless it uses loads of oil.