hi guys, i have a weird problem with my rear windows, well one of them. The passenger side has never worked since i got the car (guessing its the motor??), but the drivers rear side works sometimes and not others?? Any ideas why??

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have had several windows issues like this, one involves taking off the door card and unbolting the window carrier assembly from the mounting plates and the other involves wiggling the wires in the rubber wire protector between the car door and the car body. Its unlikely to be the motor as these are pretty reliable.

In the first case its possible to jam the window closed and you need to release the tension in the winding mechanism. The problem with that is it usually happens again and you end up having to buy a new winder mechanism. Its also possible that the multi pin connector that fits onto the top of the motor has come loose, its a tight fit so make sure its on.

In the second case it can be a loose wire in the bunch of wires that come from the body of the car and are fed through the rubber gaitor into the door itself. I currently have an ongoing issue with my rear passenger window that stops the sun roof closing (a total closure alarm). However if I wiggle the wires in the gaitor it all works again. I need to do some tracing but I suspect its frayed or loose. Hope that helps.

As Ripstop says, check the condition of the wires inside the rubber boots that go between the body and the doors. Look for snapped wires and wires that have lost their insulation. Problems here are VERY common on the Mk3. Solder the snapped wires back together and use insulation tape to seal them back up.

first check for broken wires in the rubber boot that goes between the door and shell.

if all seems ok remove the switch from the door (just pop the handle off)

and clean the terminals on the switch,

i've had just the same problems recently but 3 windows didn't work,

2 were down to broken wires, 1 side had 4 wires either broken or split and the other was a dodgy switch.

another quick test i found to see if it is something other than wiring is test to see if the window will go up and down using the closure feature on the door lock,

mine would move doing this, so sort of proved it was either the switch or a wire and not a regulator/motor.

hope this helps.

rob (now with 4 working windows!!)