Query - fuel consumption apparently worse after new plugs/leads

When I first bought my car, it would return 34mpg plus on a motorway run - at 80-90mph. During the last motorway run I did (about 2 weeks ago) the best I could get was 28mpg.

For a while I had suspected the plugs and/or leads were at less than their best. The idle was a tad uneven and this seemed to be worsening.

I now have brand new NGK plugs and a set of Megaleads. I also have a brand new fuel filter. The old plugs were certainly worn out and the fuel that came out of the old filter was very dirty.

The Vento now idles and runs better. However, fuel consumption seems to have worsened.

Can anyone offer suggestions and/or advice as to why and what to do about it?

Thanks in anticipation (and I'm off to bed!).

just to ask the obvious...but you did put everything on the right way round and tighten it all up properly?

having read through alot of the engine threads on here because im having trouble myself, it would seem that 99% of running/consumption problems are electrical based.

sorry if thats not tons of help but ive owned my car about 2 minutes.

Strange it is. And yes, everything was put back properly.

I forgot to mention that I cleaned and oiled my BMC CDA yesterday too. I was rather hoping to find that something had been sucked into the cold air intake and was blocking it, but that wasn't the case.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd update this. I am unsure as to why fuel economy initially seemed a bit worse after treating my Vento to new plugs and leads. But I am happy to report that things have definitely improved!

I am now getting 200 + miles to a tank of petrol, whereas before it was a struggle to get more than 180. My last full tank has lasted for just under 240 miles, which is by far the best I have obtained since I purchased the car. I suspect that, were it not for the fact that most of my journeys are fairly short and in traffic, I could get 300.

All I need now is to get the car through next month's MOT!