I've definately got the sewing machine effect from my engine, which according to vwvortex is probably one of the timing chain tensioners being broken. Anyone want to help me replace it as I want to start doing more DIY things with my car as a hobby not to mention save on labour costs! I read that replacing just the upper tensioner rail is relatively straight forward, as the transmission doesn't need to be removed to access it. Any takers? B)

well, i'm not gonna offer to help, as a)i've never done it before, and b)its a real pain apparantly.

dunno if you're aware fo this, but the gearbox needs removing to anything to do with the timing chain except the top bolt type tensioner. and its most likely the blade which that tensioner, er, tensions is damaged. if so, they chain will slip and trash the engine.

i've heard that the cost can be £1k to change the chains and tensioners at a garage. parts cost £250.

good luck. (i have to do this to mine very soon, and am not looking forward to it)

[ Edited Sun May 30 2004, 12:03AM ]

Yeah I was semi aware of this, I studyed that post on the vortex, and as far as I could make out the upper tensioner rail *could* maybe be accessed without removing the lower parts of the cover (blocked in by the gearbox etc). The tensioner bolt seems the more unlikely part to be at fault, and I am just guessing that it will be the tensioner rails/guides that are broken and causing the rattling. I spoke at length to a helpful chap at a VW dealer, and got all the parts priced for the guides (not the chain itself) came to about £30, I've got them all written down with part no.s somewhere here...

Guest Olly_K

lol, no you can change the cams without having the gearbox off. Basically, you can see the tensioners with the cams exposed, but i think the bolts are further down which means the gearbox has to come off get to them

Yeah I was semi aware of this' date=' I studyed that post on the vortex, and as far as I could make out the upper tensioner rail *could* maybe be accessed without removing the lower parts of the cover (blocked in by the gearbox etc). The tensioner bolt seems the more unlikely part to be at fault, and I am just guessing that it will be the tensioner rails/guides that are broken and causing the rattling. I spoke at length to a helpful chap at a VW dealer, and got all the parts priced for the guides (not the chain itself) came to about £30, I've got them all written down with part no.s somewhere here...[/quote']

the most likely failure is of the blade that is tensioned by the bolt tensioner.

you can chage one of the blades, but this is unlikely to be worn.

Yep second the suggestion of taking it to Stealth. It's very easy to get the cam timing a tooth out upon reassembly, so you really need to be hot on timing to even contemplate doing this DIY.

As a personal recommendation, I would go with the MK4 VR6 upper tensioner pad and bolt. The pad is solid polymer and the bolt is sprung loaded *and* hydraulically tensioned. This ensures there is always tension on the pad, which was a weakness of the old SACHS hydraulic only bolts when the piston seals let go.

MK4 pad - 021 109 509E - £6.50

MK4 tensioner - 021 109 507B - About £20 I think.

Fit these and you'll never have to do this job again.

Check with your garage if they're happy to do it first though as they're not standard MK3 parts.

K