It depends on the car. On the ibiza the turbo and and the intercooler we used have 2" outlets, so we used 2 inch and flared up to 3" to go to the throttle body. Another car had a 2.5" outlet so we use 2.5" pipe and cooler inlets.

3" will be fine - but be aware that any air you produce out the turbo has to fill up all your piping as well as your engine. A fixed amount of air in a bigger volume results in less presure.

Say you have 6 feet of pipe. at 2" this is a volume of 3.6 litres. At 3" its 6.1 litres - so imagine if there sealed pipes - you will need almost twice as much air to get the same pressure in the 3" pipe as the 2" pipe.

Its not a huge issue - when you think with 1 bar boost at 7000rpm your trhowing 300 odd litres of air in the engine a second, the volume of the piping becomes trivial although bring that down to say 5 psi at 2000 rpm and you'll need to flow 62 litres of air, so with 3" piping and a big cooler to fill you'll get a bit more lag. but not alot, maybe a couple of hundred rpm.

When you start thinking in terms of 300 litres of air per sec then bigger piping is only gonna help flow that.

The 2" the beeza has is still plenty enough to flow 20lb's boost at high rpm.

Sorry i got carried away. I just deleted a whole raft of information about the atomisation of fuel at 12:1 afr into that airflow that i was even sending myself to sleep with, not even sure how i got myself on to it *-)

What i meant was - "yeah thats fine". :)

As a general rule - i'd go with whatever size the outlet of the turbo is - that'll give you a fair idea.

Tom.

• 5 months later...

i had a T35 turbo on my cossy and i was running 28 psi all day with a -34 actuator. and it would hardly tale off. my mates can run 35 psi with T4s and GT35s with a greedy boost controller and they dont have any probs with no boost at top end? the only thing which turbos can be faulted for is lag' date=' the bigger the turbo the more lag u will get. there is one thing u can do to combat this problem! (i) fit a Anti Lag System!! a couple of my mates use them on there cars, great fun. ;)

[/quote']

Yeah,a mate has a Cossie running 25psi on T34 and it's very laggy, but think of it this way, take the turbo off a 2 litre and lower the CR and it's a gutless wonder, with a VR you've got the torque in the first place so off boost it drives like a standard car... on boost....then all hell breaks loose.