calling all odb1 superchargers

Hey this is a general shout out to all ODB1 supercharged vr6 owners.

I dunno if you guys are aware, but stealth racing (meta url = cool!) now offers odb1 ecu flashing....

gotta still confirm this with vince - its £350 + vat and should give a smoother idle and stop stalling issues (my main problem...i've even put in a new ISV today!)

--- has anyone had the above done (odb1 only, i know odb2 guys have it already) *without a dastek* please let me know how it feels in comparison to your previous dastek setup - or if you have just had it installed (dastekless) has it stalled after coming off WOT?

As this is a general post, anything goes, suggestions/advice whatever... :)

Idle's never great on obd1's esp charged, but mine doesn't stall.

I've just gone from ZR2 with a dastek, to VF9 without dastek or MAF ;)

Cams in mine don't help either :)

Both were mapped by Vince and the new map is a million times better than the old, but thats because of the new software available.

Dunno what your asking tho :-(

Had mine mapped by the Vincemeister. Was running ok but have a few small isuues to iron out, not neccessarily realted to the map. According to my info he's got some map sensors in the pipeline which will help compensate for removing the maf.

Yep, MAP sensing is potentially the way to go. Losing the MAF also loses 10 mapping cells, which we can reuse again with a MAP. A VAG 2 bar MAP can probably be used and Vince has found a suitable 12V-5V voltage regulator as the MAF power supply is too high for a MAP.

I should be getting mine done fairly soon.

The other down side of MAFless as some of you may have discovered already, is a slight lack of throttle response now that the weather is warming up. My MAFless map was done in the Winter and without the MAF to dynamically trim the fuelling, she's running slightly rich at the moment. The intake temp sender can trim to a degree, but has a very limited adjustment scope.

The MAP sensor will restore the correct trimming ranges....we hope!

Yeah it is possible to run map instead of maf, we've done it before. Its not quite that straighfoward though as the air pressure signal from the MAP is different to air mass you get from the MAF, as many more calculations are needed, but if you reconfigure the code to apply the calculations to the old MAF input signal then it doesnt take many mods in the fuellings maps to get useable code.

As i understand it though Vince intially deleted the MAF cos his code had it conflicting with the o2 sensor? In which case subsituting it with a MAP isnt gonna help.

Also bear in mind that a 2 bar MAP is only gonna be good for running 1 bar of boost.

Either way though you do need either map or maf as you cant expect to properly fuel an engine with no load input.

Tom.

1 bar of boost is all we need and should have enough resolution, -30 vac to 15psi IIRC.

Deleting the MAF was not related to the O2 sensor, indeed that fella is doing the bulk of the trimming now that the MAF has gone walkies. The actual reasons for losint it were:-

1) Output voltage exceeding 5V

2) Constant hold/cold running causing shunting at certain revs on part throttle.

3) Stalling

4) Oil fouling

5) Water contamination

6) Unable to hold a particular fuel cell steady with it connected on some cars

Oh and the small matter of saving between £60 and £350 each time the maf pops...which isn't long when using a charger.