My brother's car.... (56k put the kettle on)

I think i remember telling a few of the people who went to the RR day all the way back in December about my brother's car, well here is the conclusion i suppose....

Last summer on ebay my bro saw the car he had been lusting after since we went to the motorshow when it first came out, the problem was it was a cat C write off...

59_3.jpg

ec_3.jpg

Anyway he bidded for it and won it for £9k (almost identical straight cars were going for £20k+ at the time)

It was taken straight to the bodyshop attatched to the garage where my dad worked for immediate attention (the bloke who it was collected from shat himself when a multi level articulated car transporter reversed up his small country lane to to pick it up, he was expecting a tilt and slide recovery truck lol)

Renault were less than helpful during the whole process not being able to supply technical drawings or dimensions vital for checking if the chassis was true. When parts were ordered they took up to 4 months to be delivered meaning the guy working on the car needed to wait ages for a part to come, then find out that it needed a special fixing and then waiting another few weeks for that to come. The whole project trickled along basically learning as we went along and in the dark.

osfanglebodyshop.jpg

progress1.jpg

Progress was slow but as you can see in the pic above measurements were found for the car and it was put on a jig to make sure there was a straight base to build on. Things slowly chugged on much as they had done. After slightly less than a year and about £15k (including the car cost) he now has a fully funtional Clio V6 :)

IMG_3714copy011.jpg

IMG_3707copy004.jpg

IMG_3709copy006.jpg

This thing is pretty damn rapid and the grin it put on your face is massive even being a passenger, the advantage of being a passenger is being able to see people stare at it's bare phatness 8) All in all it's a cracking little beastie :)

I've heard a fair few people knock it saying it isn't that fast etc etc.. the fact is i very much doubt they have driven one, if you look at the figures 0-60 in 5.8 isn't to be sniffed at and it lapped the top gear test track in one of the wettest sessions in the same time as the Aston Martin Vanquish (also in the wet). If you look past the fact that it's french and comes with ummm well seats, a steering wheel, air conditioning and that's about it, it's just a lot of fun period :)

Well that's the story so far.

nice one' date=' just shows whats possible, tho i doubt, due to the cat c status, its worth the same as a "normal" v6 clio, but i love these cars. totally impractical for anything other than a toy, but what a toy!

[/quote']

Yeah it's never going to be worth as much as a "straight" one, but he looks at it in the way that it cost less in the first place and he'll probably keep it a good few years.

• 2 weeks later...

"quote"If you look past the fact that it's french and comes with ummm well seats, a steering wheel, air conditioning and that's about it, it's just a lot of fun period "end quote"

The spec on these cars is much more than seats and nice seats.They have xenons,auto lights,electronic climate,progressive sound radio(it gets louder when you drive harder).trip computer,stalk adjust for 10cd under the passenger seat and one of the best safety ratings.They really are a drivers car but i would'nt worry about putting my mrs and child in one there a cracker all round

ian